question

stone avatar image
stone asked

MPPT 100/20 Load Issue

I have a very simple system consisting of 2 x 12v battery’s wired as 24v, a 2amp 24v led led yard light run through a “choice electric” 24v timer. Was previously using a Stecca controller with no issue. Starting to upgrade the controller and solar panels I’ve started by replacing the controller but have an issue now with the load immediately cutting in and out on startup (definitely controller doing this) and then stopping any load output altogether. Turning off and on starts the same process again. I’ve read posts re removing the jumper which I’ve done, have checked wiring for shorts, have played with load setting via Bluetooth to “always on”. Being a simple low amp led light and a timer which would draw very little current I can’t believe this is an issue with low volts, rush current etc. Any suggestions?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
adev avatar image
adev answered ·

Hi Stone. In the last few months I have setup two solar systems with the same controller: one for a friend based on 450w of solar panels and a 100ah third-party lithium battery, and upgraded my own system from a cheap 30A PWM controller with 200w of solar and a cheap lead acid battery, to 180ah of Victron lithium and the smart solar 100|20 MPPT. I also have a VE.Bus BMS and a 24-12v DC converter which I’m yet to utilise.

Overall I’m very happy with the quality of Victron’s products so I’d urge you to do some more troubleshooting before you dismiss Victron altogether.

I’ve had some smilar issues using the load outputs (all with 12v battery/loads so far): The first thing I’ve noticed is that when I plug in my “12v” charger for my Macbook air, (60w) it causes all the loads from the victron controller to cut out momentarily, but they come on again within 2 seconds and run without further issue until I unplug-replug the same charger.

I also had a smiliar issue on the second installation but the loads would all stay off completely. It turned out there was a dodgy USB cable left plugged into another socket that was causing a short. As soon as I removed that everything worked again.

I would double check all your wiring and loads to ensure there are no shorts or other issues.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

stone avatar image
stone answered ·

As an update, I’ve just bypassed the load connections and attached the light directly to (fused) power and using the 100/20 as simple solar charging unit. Extremely annoying as I paid the extra to get the load sensing capability. Will never buy Victron again.

2 |3000

adev avatar image
adev answered ·

you may find this video informative

2 |3000