question

enzo-ruscigno avatar image
enzo-ruscigno asked

Multiplus II 12V redundancy

If redundancy is required, TWO Multiplus II 12V can be connected in parallel to maintain reliable power supply if one of the Multiplus II fails in operation ?

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

In a parallel set 1 inverter is master, the rest are secondary. If any of the inverters has a fault, the whole system shuts down. You then have to be able to manually isolate the faulty one, and then reprogram the good one as standalone. So it is not automatic in any form.

I have had to do this on occasion with faulty relays. Each inverter input, output and battery supply can be pulled and the system shutdown or removed.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@ENzo Ruscigno

With a bypass switch yes.

Usually it is is best to have two totally separate systems with some kind of mechanism to switch between them.

I have often see that the battery is more than likely to be the sick one . Then the redundancy of a second inverter is wasted.

2 |3000

enzo-ruscigno avatar image
enzo-ruscigno answered ·

I meant two Multiplus IIs in parallel to have 12V 6000VA and 240A battery chargers. I would like to know if in case of master failure both Multiplus IIs stop (as probable) or slave failure.

1 comment
2 |3000

derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas commented ·
As nickdb stated, in a parallel configuration, if one fails then they all shut down. A few minutes to isolate the failed unit and a quick reprogram to the remaining unit(s) and you are back online.
0 Likes 0 ·