question

stefan-d avatar image
stefan-d asked

BMV Monitor and Superpack batteries

Hi all.

I have a bank of Victron Superpack batteries that are connected to a BMV 712 smart monitor. The batteries are charged by solar and a mains charger. All equipment (including pv panels) are Victron.

My question is this. When I set my monitor to 100% charge state of batteries (as I know they are at 100%), over time the percent charge reading starts to drop. It's generally about 3% per week. When I reset to 100% it starts again. I am happy that the batteries are actually at 100% and thats what the charger and the mppts for the pv are telling me. Also, it doesn't drop slightly and stop, it keeps dropping at a linear rate. So far, its dropped as low as 83% before I reset.

Any ideas please?

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

@Stefan D moved to normal Q&A

I guess there is a wiring issue.

Can you make some picture or do you have a wiring schematic?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

stefan-d avatar image stefan-d commented ·

Hi Matthias.

Here is a diagram (very basic) of how it is wired. It's on boat for information.

Stefan 20231128-100100.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

It would appear your shunt is in the wrong place so isn't measuring anything other than your DC loads.

All loads and chargers need to be on the load side of the shunt and only the battery on the other end so all flow to/from the battery is measured.

This is clear from the manual. At present yours is working only as a DC meter according to your diagram.

screenshot-2023-11-28-at-122849.png

2 |3000