question

bramschats avatar image
bramschats asked

powerbank for camper battery

I have a camper from 2011 and want to replace the current house battery with an LiFePO4 battery. Now I realize that there are quite a few modifications needed before I can install an LiFePO4 battery. My question is whether I can use a lithium battery as a kind of power bank for the house battery by using, for example, an isolated Orion-TR DC-DC battery charger?

Since I have lithium cells available and have experience building a battery, that's not a problem. However, I cannot determine whether the Orion is suitable for this purpose or if there might be an alternative unit available to achieve this. In my case, this would be a more cost-effective solution than modifying the entire setup.

Orion DC-DC Converters not smartdc-dc charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
KämpingVan Conversions OÜ avatar image
KämpingVan Conversions OÜ answered ·

Hi,

The Orion-TR DC-DC charger should do the trick nicely. I would make sure to get the Orion-TR Smart version, just so you can change the charging voltage settings to accommodate your battery bank.

I do not know which type of camper you currently have but definitely look into the current system and look to disable the current charger(it will most likely have some kind of charging while driving device and be built into the motorhome own system. It will probably will not have capability to charge LiFePo4 batteries).

BR,

KampingVan

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bramschats avatar image bramschats commented ·

Just to be sure, I want to add the things within the red square. I don't want to rebuild all electricity within the van because it is not suited for lithium and want to use the lithium as powerbank for the original system. Perhaps I can stop the Orion TR DC-DC 18ah charger when driving or connected to wall power using the s1 connection?

I now have a common ground for all my batteries, should I go for the isolated or non-

isolated version in this situation and why?

Are there any other possible challenges do you think?
thnx for the help.

screenshot-2023-11-27-at-182130.png

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ bramschats commented ·
The Orion can be controlled with the L and H terminals. Details in the manual, should be a link below.

Best to have a common ground, otherwise different parts of the system can be at different voltages. Messed up readings.

Non isolated should be fine, but there's not really enough detail here.

1 Like 1 ·
KämpingVan Conversions OÜ avatar image KämpingVan Conversions OÜ bramschats commented ·

I see. I think this should work, if it is what you want to do. I would definitely control the orion someway so it isn't charging whilst driving or connected to the grid. Either via simple remote on/off switch etc. Also while you are charging the lithium bank, it would be good to turn off the Orion.

1 Like 1 ·
qnapper avatar image
qnapper answered ·

I use the Orion-TR DC-DC charger in my 2016 VW campervan without problem to my 180amp LiFePO4 battery. It takes aroubd 2 hours of driving to fully charge battery from 40/50% discharged. Just added in past few days the raspberry pi Venus OS software and now have remote access to my system.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron DC-DC converters product page