question

paul-staska avatar image
paul-staska asked

2 multiplus inverters with different software

4yo 48/3000 has updated software to V506

new 48/3000 II, added to run parallel to original, has updated software to V507, the two units won't talk because different software version. can't update past V506 on older unit & I don't know if it's possible to roll back software on the new unit

any thoughts?

multiplus in parallelsoftware
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

If it runs 506 it will run 507..

How did you update it?

Use a mk3 and veflash, that will allow you to reflash either assuming you have the older file.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

paul-staska avatar image paul-staska commented ·
yes I updated both inverters software.
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ paul-staska commented ·
How?

Did you use Veflash? If you used Victron connect is it up to date?

The 507 file is on the professional site, download veflash and use a mk3 to update the old one.

You can downgrade but that assumes you have the firmware file.

0 Likes 0 ·
paul-staska avatar image
paul-staska answered ·

is it possible to reverse the firmware update in the newer unit, back to a 506?

I shut the inverter down, rebooted it and tried updating again from 506 to 507, message came up that I am on the latest version :(

5 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Paul Staska

You have several option still available to you.

Check your Victron connect is up to date. That is likely the issue here.

Update it over the VRM. This wil take you to 508 so you will then have to do both as individuals. Before programming.

To roll back you have to download the file from victron professional and flash it manually.

It is very strange that you updated one and then the other and they were both different. Would love to know the method you used. Was it different for both?

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Paul Staska

You've described only the new unit as a 'II' model. This might explain the different update experience.

If so, they won't work together anyway.

0 Likes 0 ·
paul-staska avatar image paul-staska Alexandra ♦ commented ·
site not online, so update via computer / VE connect. seems to be up to date software on computer.

old inverter is 4yo (series 1), new inverter is series 2 - both 48/3000/35.

why wouldn't they work together?

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ paul-staska commented ·

@Paul Staska

The manual.. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:manual_parallel_and_three_phase_systems

An extract..

1701144569339.png

The 'four digits' mentioned there are called 'Product ID', and available off the pcb or Remote Console (under 'Device'). For a 230V Multi the first two will be '26', but the next two will differ between the 2 generations of Multi.

It means you can't combine their ac output into a single supply.

1 Like 1 ·
1701144569339.png (23.8 KiB)
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ JohnC ♦ commented ·

@Paul Staska

Yep, they are too far apart in age and they aren't the same model. I focussed too much on the firmware issue. Nice catch @JohnC.

1 Like 1 ·