question

genwest avatar image
genwest asked

Victron Panel low output

Hello All, I have 3 new Victron panels on my van, 175w, 140w and 140w. They are connected in parallel and plugged into a renogy 50amp MPPT regulator. Bright midday sun, clean panel and only getting 300w total. I have tried one 140 panel on a shorter cable run by itself and only 95w. They seem to have OC voltage of around 20v but once the regulator takes current it drops go about 15.5v. Should I expect better power output as I’m a long way off 455w. My lithium batteries have about 100ah hole ready to be filled and currently pulling 50ah out of battery with voltage around 12.9v. Thanks.

Solar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Depends a lot on where you are and the angle of the panel to the sun. Mixing panels of different sizes will reduce overall output, as they require different MPPT settings and the MPPT will set itself for the set, which will not be optimal.

Your single panel numbers suggest insufficient light.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

genwest avatar image
genwest answered ·

Thanks for the feedback. I’m in Adelaide, sun pretty much overhead, clear sky and 25 degC. So can’t get much better I don’t think. Maybe my regulator is not performing.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Could be cabling as well. But individual panels should be at or close to full rated output, assuming battery not limiting things. A big panel drop in voltage without much power points to light, failing that, MPPT or settings. But as non Victron MPPT, it's between you and the supplier.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic