question

ee21 avatar image
ee21 asked

MultiPlus Compact 24/2000 Overload conditions/duration?

The average load I plan on connecting will be around 500-700 Watts maximum, with the occasional exception when a 1100 watt microwave is being used (typically 4-5 minutes at a time as most people do a microwave). Grid power is very stable, so most of the time this would be running in ESS mode with PowerAssist, but if the grid ever would to fail, and someone forgot not to run the microwave on battery power, I am interested in knowing the specific overload conditions of this inverter. I have heard people state that the 5KvA model can output 10,000W for "several minutes", which is over 200% its normal maximum continuous rated output. The MultiPlus 2000 is rated at 1600W continuous, so I am wondering what a load of 1800W (~113% maximum continuous output rating) might do over a period of about 5 minutes.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

It will all depend on the ambient temp so at 25Deg C the 2000 can do 4000VA or 3200W for maybe 1 to 2 min, thats if the battery bank can deliver the amps etc that is.

So I would suspect that 1800w would be no probs holding for 5min. again subject to battery bank and cable size issues.

if It does get overloaded then it will just shut down and you will have to turn it off and then back on to reset it

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ee21 avatar image ee21 commented ·

I guess only testing will tell, but thank you! The battery is more than able, is is Lithium Ion (NMC not LifePO) and 11.5KWH, with 00AWG Wire rated for around 265A, my current AIMS inverter/charger runs it just fine, granted that's a 6KW inverter.

0 Likes 0 ·
Dave van Dongen avatar image
Dave van Dongen answered ·

Yes, dependent on air temperature. And yes, testing is the best way to find out. But Victron inverters can be overloaded quite impressively! :-)

2 |3000