question

PVTex avatar image
PVTex asked

raspberry reboots when smartshunt is connected to flat battery

Hi

i am running venusOS on a raspberry pi 4.

connected is a smartshunt which monitors my solar batteries.

the raspberry pi is powered by main power.

when the battery runs flat the raspberry starts to reboot ever minute or so.

powering the connected bluesmart charger on the raspberry is stable.

could this be a timeout issue of the ve.direct connect to the smartshunt?

what can i do to solve it?

Venus OSRaspberry Pireboot
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
@PVTex

Moved to modifications. RPi experts live there.

0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Nothing in Venus OS would cause a reboot except the command from the General Settings menu. I don't believe there is a timer running anywhere that would cause a reboot but there is the reboot on loss of VRM connection.

I would investigate power to the RPI as a possible casue. You are either running an AC to 5 volt adapter or a DC-DC converter off of battery power. If the battery feeding the DC-DC converter is low enough voltage for the converter to shut down then its 5 volt output will also most likely drop causing the PI to shutdown. Then, maybe the batter voltage creeps up and the PI reboots.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

PVTex avatar image
PVTex answered ·

the raspberry is powered by ac not the battery, like i mentioned in the starting post.

the network is wired and stable.

the reboots only happen when the battery is flat and there is no response anymore from the smartshunt

2 |3000

johnny-brusevold avatar image
johnny-brusevold answered ·

See if this is switched on, possibly switch the function off to see if it makes any difference.

screen1.jpg

screen1.jpg (76.1 KiB)
2 |3000

PVTex avatar image
PVTex answered ·

that setting is already off on my device

1 comment
2 |3000

johnny-brusevold avatar image johnny-brusevold commented ·

@PVTex Are you using an original victron veDirect to usb cable, or a homemade one?

Possibly there is a ground loop, so if you have other things than power and network, disconnect them and if possible run the pi from a battery powered supply (MAX 5v) and wifi to test. I have experienced a lot of strange things because of this after dozens of mounted pi4s

0 Likes 0 ·
PVTex avatar image
PVTex answered ·

i have only 2 original ve.direct cables and network conneted.

the power supply is an industrial 5V 10A one the same model i have many rasp running on without problems.

1 comment
2 |3000

johnny-brusevold avatar image johnny-brusevold commented ·

@PVTex ok, if the pi reboots you need to check your log files. If the pi crashes there can be many different reasons that do not appear in the log.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Raspberry Pi running Victron’s Venus firmware - Blog Post

Venus OS Large image: Signal K and Node-RED - Install

raspberrypi install venus image

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic