question

lygi avatar image
lygi asked

Brand New BVM-712 current reading inaccurate

Hi!

Got a problem with my 712. SImple setup - one 75AH battery and a 712. Basic default setup.

When I have connected my inverter readings were weird (35A drawing for small load) then I connected 28W 12V bulb - reading was 105W 8.4A - again waaay too much.

Is this faulty unit? Or I'm doing something wrong.

bmv 712bvm 712
img-1222.png (222.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

12 Answers
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

could you possibly have connected something to the small screws on the sensor board? (board on the Shunt)

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

markus avatar image markus ♦♦ commented ·

Hello Boekel, nice Idea. Thanks for that. But for my understanding, wouldn't the effect be the other way round, if there is additional resistance between the small screws on this sensor board?

0 Likes 0 ·
lygi avatar image lygi commented ·

It was the reason! Now 30w bulb looks like this:

Thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image
markus answered ·

Hi lygi, what you describe can definitely cause the error, because you increase the shunts resistance to the sensor board with this, leading to a higher voltage drop and as a result, the values will be too high.

Hope re wiring will fix your issue.

Regards,

Markus

1 comment
2 |3000

lygi avatar image lygi commented ·

It was the reason. Now everything is OK

1 Like 1 ·
lygi avatar image
lygi answered ·

What I can add, charging is also weird. I'm using 7 stage 20A charger, and charging current on 712 looks like attached.

img-1220.png (222.2 KiB)
2 |3000

markus avatar image
markus answered ·

Hi lygi, maybe your shunt setting is not correct. Can you make an additional picture of your shunt settings please.

Do you use the shunt the unit was shipped with?

2 |3000

lygi avatar image
lygi answered ·

Hi Markus,

Item is brand new, shunt is the original one, and I've checked settings for it and they match. All other settings are as they were original - just AH been adjusted

2 |3000

markus avatar image
markus answered ·

hm. Are the wrong values linear or not?

2 |3000

lygi avatar image
lygi answered ·

so voltage is more or less OK, current is somewhere between x2 to x3 too high

1.5 A shows as 5A, 20A charging shows as 40A

2 |3000

lygi avatar image
lygi answered ·

I will try to load it with a car bulb and compare readings with Digital multimeter.

2 |3000

markus avatar image
markus answered ·

Ok.

I would double check the shunt settings. If it's not too much effort, make a Picture though and post it here.

2 |3000

lygi avatar image
lygi answered ·

good point Boekel! Because original shunt screws are huuuge and my terminals were just to small to use the shunt screws, I put my ring terminals between plate and shunt - I didn't expect this can make any difference BUT - this can be a case! Let me redo this part of wiring and will post the results

2 |3000

lygi avatar image
lygi answered ·

Now can't wait to get back home an rewire it haha ;) ANyway - will come back tomorrow and will let you know.

2 |3000

dkovacevic avatar image
dkovacevic answered ·

I had this problem for exactly the same reason: I attached my BMS lead directly to the screw holding the shunt circuit board to the shunt. This caused my 45 Amp charge current to be measured as 70+ Amps. Doesn't seem like it would make that much of a difference, but it does.

I originally wired the BMS directly to the screw because my battery cable lugs were all too small to fit to the shunt bolts. Ended up drilling the lugs to fit the shunt. Very happy customer now!

PS: might be a good idea to mention in the owners manual of BMS systems that wiring to the screws of the shunt is a no-go.

Thank you for hosting this community forum, and for producing these products.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @dkovacevic

I think it's actually written on the pcb, to not connect anything else to it...

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic