question

riptide avatar image
riptide asked

Loose Coil on Post inside Isolation Transformer

I have acquired 2 new/in the box ITR2000 115/230 volt| 16W/8 Amp Isolation Transformers that upon further inspection appear to have loose coils on the coil "ID" mounting posts attached to the back-side of the Housings. I can see that the coils have come detached from the mounting posts and have some movement on the post while enclosed in the Isolation Transformer. Is the Posts/Position critical to the function of the Isolation Transformer? Can I simply re-attach/ secure the coils to prevent any further movement of the coil inside the Isolation Transformer?

Isolation Tranformer
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi @RipTide,

Unfortunately I could never advise someone to make a remedy like that on the community even if it was an obvious and straight forward solution.

The best thing to do when an issue is to do with physical power component like this is get in touch with your dealer for a repair centre and ask them for advice. Frustrating I know.

Just to clarify for me, you’re seeing the same identical issue with 2 different brand new out of the box products?

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
riptide avatar image
riptide answered ·

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I bought 2 identical units and noticed that there was a slight movement inside the packaging/Victron Box and later inside the Isolation Transformer case. After opening the front panel, I noticed the coil/post allowed for free movement and that the "potting compound" had come detached from the Mylar wrap around the coils. It does not seem adequate for this heavy mass of coil to be free to move as it could eventually allow the coil to come in contact with the exterior case. I'm not feeling confident that the design of the coil support will withstand the abuse of being aboard a sailboat.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic