question

r-d-young avatar image
r-d-young asked

Isolation transformer 7000 split phase

Shore power is 230V - 50 Amp standard North American marina 4 wire (Red-hot, Black-hot, White-neutral, Green-ground). The vessel is wired with split phase output of 240/120 (same wiring scheme). The 7000 inputs and outputs only have L,N,PE. Can I somehow wire/jumper the Victron 7000 to accomplish this and get the galvanic protection?

Isolation Tranformer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

No. You need a transformer with a center-tapped secondary winding. The input does not need a center tap if it is always fed from 240 volt split phase. However, some power (at least in RV parks) is two legs of 3 phase so the voltage from hot to hot is 208 volts. You might also want to accommodate 120 volt shore power. All is possible with multiple taps on the primary (input) side of the transformer with taps for 240, 208 and 120.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

r-d-young avatar image r-d-young commented ·
Thanks for the answer and ignoring the impossible (I can't hook up a 100 ton yacht to an RV park, or use a 120 shore power with my 240 appliances) it seems that only solution is to add another transformer after the isolation transformer. I don't see anything in the Victron arsenal that will do this - any suggestions?
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem r-d-young commented ·
I don't have any recommendations but there should be lots of options from places that deal with electrical things.

You could place an autotransformer down stream of the isolation transformer but a single transformer would probably be better.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic