question

wormwithouthome avatar image
wormwithouthome asked

Where current dissapear?

Hello I have Victron mppt 450/100 and I can see in VRM that current from that charger is for example 50A but in BMV 712 I can see that inside battery goes only 20A. Do you know what could be wrong please? victron.jpg

BMV Battery Monitor
victron.jpg (42.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
theo74 avatar image
theo74 answered ·

When the MPPT deliveres 50A, and the battery receives 20A, then 30A goes elsewhere.

This 30A could easily go to the inverter, making 230V for it's connected loads.

12VDC x 30A = 360 Watt, minus inverter loss, let say about 320 Watt on the 230VAC inverter output.

Otherwise it could also be that your battery is near 80-100% state of charge (SOC), and there fore is in float charge, not consuming all the available current anymore. But then, when the MPPT and BMV are connected in the Ve network, the MPPT should lower it's output to the demand, possibly not 50A. Or do you have a big battery setup?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell commented ·
@Theo74 If you look it is a 48V system, 30A missing is 1500W, a bit much to be missing and the inverter should record this if it is the case.

@Wormwithouthome I have no idea where the error is in the system I am afraid.

0 Likes 0 ·
theo74 avatar image theo74 pwfarnell commented ·
Missed that one indeed, thanks for mentioning,
1 Like 1 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Wormwithouthome

We are all assuming the shunt is wired to the system correctly here..... ...

Check switch off the PV and the inverter and check the current shown then.

If it is not zero or close to it, then refer to the manual on how to perform the zero current calibration. Please be sure to completely disconnect all charge and discharge sources from the shunt.

If it is zero or close to it then check your wiring.

2 |3000