question

yehiya avatar image
yehiya asked

Setting up Victron MPPT for SMF battery

I am setting up a Victron MPPT 100/30 with an Amaron SMF battery 12ASMF100 (I am attaching the specs). It seems that some of the recommended values are low, especially the boost charge. It seems that the mention of ‘minimum charge current is a typo as it should be maximum’. The spec sheet mentions SMF and in one place and also advanced AGM in another and this is a bit confusing to me.

I am looking for some guidance to set up please and many thanks in advance. Amaron-Solar-SMF-Battery.pdf

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
regman54 avatar image
regman54 answered ·

SMF = Sealed Maintenance Free, AGM = Absorbed Glass Mat, VRLA = Valve Regulated Lead Acid

AGM batteries are just that; sealed and maintenance free, meaning there are no removable caps to remove to add water. They are sealed but are also Valve Regulated Lead Acid (VRLA) meaning they will, if needed, relieve internal pressures through the valve to prevent them from exploding.

As for the C rating perhaps this will help: https://www.power-sonic.com/blog/what-is-a-battery-c-rating/

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.