question

roks avatar image
roks asked

Why are the Multiplus II being sold so cheap?

Hi,

Does anyone know Why are the Multiplus II being sold so cheap on eBay?

Is there a new model coming out?

Are they chinese fakes?

Couple German sellers selling 48/3000/35-32 for approximately £580 and uk sellers around £750.

Anything I should watch out for in terms of warranty etc.

I am planning a parallel system, using 2 units so that 2nd unit kicks in when needed. If there is a new model coming out should I hold off?

Thanks

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

19 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

All, a reminder about the forum guidelines, it is technically focused, not business focused, so rather discuss pricing with your suppliers, it isn't constructive to do it here.

This topic has run its course so I will close it off.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jason - UK avatar image
Jason - UK answered ·

@roks Cheep? The reduced prices are still more than what I paid 2 years ago. The prices increased significantly when the energy prices were really high and then with everyone looking for ESS systems to reduce there energy costs. Now the market energy prices have comes down by over 50% compared to a year ago, less people are buying ESS system because the ROI is not as attractive.

I purchased my 5kva Multiplus II GX just as the prices started to increased significantly along with my 20kwh worth of battery storage. When I did that, my ROI was under 2 years. A year later that ROI had stretched out to 2.5 years which is still a really good investment. Now, if I bought the same kit, my ROI is about 5 years. Again still a worth investment but combined with European economies currently in a bit of a sensitive position and people worried about their jobs, I guess people are less willing to spent their surplus cash on, what is for some people, a speculation of energy costs. For those not in the BESS market - boat owners and industry, its a different reason for investing in Victron products.

2 |3000

iammotorhomeless avatar image
iammotorhomeless answered ·

@roks I thought it was just because I had bought mine... that's what normally happens to me.
five minutes after I buy it (two of it) they drop in price :(

I have no real Idea on the German sellers, "they seem legitimate".
but I have bought from ricky_racetech here in the UK, and can recommend (call him for his best price)

But as for a parallel system. they both run at the same time, as one unit. so you might be better off just buying one 48/5000. A lot easier to set up.

2 |3000

roks avatar image
roks answered ·

@IamMotorHomeless thanks for the reply, I assumed the 2nd unit will just be in sleep mode until needed.

The reason I am not keen on the 48/5000 is the weight, I need to transport it across the world to a remote site, I don't think it will fit in the luggage weight limit. Also, if one breaks down I have something to carry on where as if the 5000 goes faulty then I'll be in the dark.

I am open to suggestions.

2 comments
2 |3000

iammotorhomeless avatar image iammotorhomeless commented ·

@roks Yeah, they are heavy...

but if you program them as a parallel system, they are both on all the time, and each carries half the load
I was the same, that's why I bought a pair of 48/5000, so that if one died, I could just program the good one to run on it's own.

guessing you are installing "off grid" ?
It all depends on, what and when you want to power stuff.
I have seen systems that have one unit on all the time, and only turn the second one on, as and when they need it. but it's a lot of messing about to save a few hundred watts a day.
You have to work out the consumption of two 48/3000 to the consumption of one 48/5000

So your first idea of two 48/3000 might be your best bet, if you have the solar and battery power
and if you are taking them out of the country, there would be no advantage warranty wise, buying them from the UK or Germany... I wouldn't think ??

0 Likes 0 ·
roks avatar image roks iammotorhomeless commented ·
There is grid but its very unreliable, eventually I might go off grip when I can get enough money to buy decent amount of solar panels.
1 Like 1 ·
josecokem avatar image
josecokem answered ·

I have bought one of them due the cheap price, I suppose is a necessary adaptation to the market prices and features of other brands or possible new versions are coming. BTW is any new standalone cerbo version to be released soon? All the new ones like Ekrano or the multiplus II GX comes with 4 cores and cerbo still only have 2.

2 |3000

gazza avatar image
gazza answered ·

There is a 3 for 2 offer on at the moment with Victron for the Multiplus, or a Multiplus with free Cerbo? It may be some manipulation of this by re-rellers??

2 |3000

jeanmarie avatar image
jeanmarie answered ·

It becomes one of the basic behavior to search the net for the best offer, even buying far away from where it is supposed to be installed.

But keep in mind for after-sale service with Victron's product, that you must go through your sellers to ask for any reparation/exchange and send him the product to your expenses before waiting to get it back repaired or exchanged but after paying again for the transportation !

1 comment
2 |3000

roks avatar image roks commented ·

I don't think these eBay sellers are official distributors/sellers so the warranty will be with whoever they bought it from.

I don't think there are any dealers anywhere near me, nearest probably India and that will cost me lot to send back and forth.

Better I bring the faulty unit with me and deal with in the UK and take it back on my next trip back.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

There is a global promo going where you can buy 2 get 3, so some suppliers will be passing this savings on.

But if you'd like an expensive one, drop me a line and I will find someone to charge you double :)

2 |3000

locke987 avatar image
locke987 answered ·

I already bought a MP II 3000 48 for ~580€ in Germany, some suppliers 'll give you the promo discount (3for2) even if you buy just one MP. And it's not a fake from China :-)

2 |3000

roks avatar image
roks answered ·

@locke987 I contacted a couple of German sellers, they won't deliver to UK and ones that do work out more or less same as UK after paying delivery and Customs duty and tax.

2 |3000

k-k avatar image
k-k answered ·

Maybe it's the VAT-thing in Germony. Private people can now buy parts for energie saving solar devices without 19% tax

2 |3000

usernamepasswordbs avatar image
usernamepasswordbs answered ·

In france I paid approx 1800 euros last year for a 5000va and they are now available for 960euros !

2 |3000

k-k avatar image
k-k answered ·

And i don't wonna (DE: den teufel an die wand malen) paint the devil on the wall: first you sell good running types for cheap, so you generate more money before deflation really sucks, so maybe some asian people may pay more for the bride (Victron)... I don't hope so, because i would like to see some improvements of the tiny Sun 250 after a year.

Maybe it's just a processor change for the complete series.

2 |3000

I don't know about the asian bride thing but at the end of last year I paid 300e for a Cerbo and now they're 209e and i'm not talking about ebay sellers.

What the hell's going on?

2 comments
2 |3000

chrispi avatar image chrispi commented ·
thats the cerbo-S without tank and digital sensors, a 1:1 to a raspi setup. the cerbo GX is still 290...
0 Likes 0 ·
usernamepasswordbs avatar image usernamepasswordbs chrispi commented ·

Nope, Cerbo GX full version 209 euros.

https://www.mon-camping-car.com/article/26724/cerbo-gx-victron&recherche=cerbo

The S is 189 euros.

0 Likes 0 ·
roks avatar image
roks answered ·

I just found a retailer online, 48/3000 for £650, might go for 2 of those.

Also, if I am taking it out of the UK, would I be able to claim the VAT back at the airport?

2 comments
2 |3000

@roks wow is that with shipping ?
I did see some offering with a Free Cerbo GX for £708

0 Likes 0 ·

@roks I emailed my local guy... he told me the Victron offer is £699 for the 3000 inverter and free cerbo
at that price, I have ordered one myself, and will upgrade my 48/1600

0 Likes 0 ·

I don't know where you are going to but they might charge you VAT on arrival so swings and roundabouts.

Look at mon-camping-car.com (french site) they have the 48v/3000 for 589 euro !

2 |3000

chrispi avatar image
chrispi answered ·

the Victron Multi 48/3000 is still 1287Euro, only the II with ESS is 590Euro...

two reasons: Victron has overstock and get rid off them hence the 3 for 2 offer, energy costs down = bad depration of ESS systems. 2nd the the new Multi II is still a hybrid inverter but has much more HF then LF (compared to Multi 1) parts now which results in less peak load. that 500W Less due to data sheet doesn't sound that significant but belive me the reserves and derating in higher temps causes much eralier an overload situation then with the Multi 1. Looking at the boards, also quality down compared to Multi 1, steel instead alumimium case....

if you have no peaking loads like aircons or european -10 till 35 degrees in stationary offgrid its not that significant but going mobil like RV and boat thats another cup of tea.

2 |3000

I'm sure you are right about the differences between MP and MPII but I'm disappointed that I paid 1800 euros last year for the MPII and now I can have it for 960 euros. It's even more than a 3-for-2 discount.

I hadn't been looking at prices before last summer so I didn't realise that they had pushed them up to such high levels just to profiteer from an "energy crisis".

2 |3000

jeanmarie avatar image
jeanmarie answered ·

The offered price is just the translation of Victron's offer (pay 2, get 3) while everybody is selling their MPII 5kVA for roughly 1300€, they are selling their MPII to the combined price (2x1300 / 3 = 866 + 10% extra margin = 960), smart ;)

2 |3000