question

koos147 avatar image
koos147 asked

Blue Smart IP22 Charger multiple battery

Good day,

I have an Blue Smart IP22 Charger12v/30a 3 battery version.

I have 2 seperated systems (only sharing common ground) 200A(2x100 paralel) and 160A (2x80 paralel) AGM battery's. I combined the 4mm2 ground cables in the charger to make sure they can handle all the current. And connected the 200ah to port 1, and the 160ah to port 2 of the charger (port 3 stays empty)

However when i did, and checked the bluetooth app, it shows only one battery with the voltage of the second battery (highest) So i didn't trusted the charger and contacted support (automatic redirected to the store) but there was no useful help here.

For now i change cables and charge one battery(set) at a time. However that doesn't make sense when the charger has 3 outputs. (for people who want to check. in the victron app is a demo available of this charger)

So the question is. what do i do wrong? Or is this a new type of charger and do i need to wait for an updated version of the app?

Or is it totally safe to let the charger charge 2 sets with a different start voltage?

Thanks in advanced for you effort in helping a new Victron user.

bluesmart ip22
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

regman54 avatar image regman54 commented ·

You can charge 3 batteries at once with different voltages using a lead to each battery and a common ground so as I understand you it sounds like you did everything right.

Maybe this video will help: Blue Smart IP22 Charger 120 V

0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
troymass avatar image
troymass answered ·

I believe the charger essentially has a built-in set of diodes. The charger effectively has a single output that is split up into 3 outputs. Current can only flow out of the charger into the batteries and no current can flow from 1 battery to another. So if there are multiple batteries are connected, the one with the lowest state of charge will take the majority of the charging current.

Its similar to a diode isolator used with the engine alternator, but its different from a galvanic isolator which separates the negative / grounds to prevent corrosion.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

The battery outputs are non-isolated, so the charger does not "see" two separate batteries; it will output voltage and current as programmed across all outputs until the batteries no longer accept current.

https://www.victronenergy.com/chargers/blue-smart-ip22-charger#manuals

2 |3000

koos147 avatar image
koos147 answered ·

i don't fully understand your answer.

the outputs are separated (as tested with a multimeter, and otherwise the battery's would quickly have the same voltage)

so does it simply divide the 30A over 2 battery's and provide both with 15A?

what will happens when 1 battery is above "bulk charge level" and the other not?

or will it first charge 30A on the lowest battery until it is equal to the second battery and then follow the same charge path on both battery's?

1 comment
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Have a read through the product manual linked above. It will answer your questions.

0 Likes 0 ·
francosponza avatar image
francosponza answered ·

Hi, I have the same question but can't seem to find an answer. Have a similar setup with a blue smart ip22 12-30 charger and 2 separate AGM battery banks. Let's say bank n.1 is 100 % and Bank n.2 is 60 % ,does the charger feed both banks with bulk charging or feeds only bank n.2 ? It's kind of confusing to be honest and manuals doesn't help really. A bit concerned if one of the 2 banks gets overcharged.

Maybe it's best to have a dedicated charger for each bank but then why have a charger with 3 outs ?

2 |3000

koos147 avatar image
koos147 answered ·

Since i have another problem with the solar charge controller, i ended up with charging only 1 battery bank. but i make sense to understand the working now. that explains why the software didn't see other battery's it is simply a single battery charger with a set of diodes.

2 |3000