question

rheinskipper avatar image
rheinskipper asked

Orion TR as standby charger for starter battery

Hi guys,

I want to use an Orion TR 12/12 9A as a standby charger to maintain the starter battery from house battery.

I want to control the Orion via alternator D+ signal. The Orion should be charging while engine is NOT running (D+ low). But it should be disabled while the engine is running (D+ high).

Can I use the product "Inverting remote on-off Kabel ASS030550120" to achieve this?
Inverting-remote-on-off-cable-EN.pdf (victronenergy.com)

If so, how is this cable connected to the remote port of the Orion? (Jumper removed or not?, left or right pin?)

orionremote start
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Not sure why you want to go to this trouble.

The Orion works on voltage detected at the battery you're charging. As soon as the engine alternator delivers charge, voltage rises and no current will flow from the Orion.

So it's already doing what you need without assistance.

I'd suggest you set absorption on the Orion to the starter battery float voltage. Same for float.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rheinskipper avatar image
rheinskipper answered ·

I tried it that way. But unfortunately voltage detection is not the way to go on an euro6 type intelligent alternator. Voltage changes very much on those modern alternators to achieve some regenerative braking.

Without proper control via D+ signal, the main DC-DC charger will charge the house battery form the starter battery and the standby DC-DC charger will charge in the opposite direction at the same time.

So I ordered this "inverting remote on-off cable" but actually I do not understand how it is meant to function.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic