question

don1cobb avatar image
don1cobb asked

Using the BMV 712 smart to control MPPT 250/100

I have a BMV-712 smart that I would like to control an MPPT 250/100. I have the BMV in relay mode and it is wired in the back to the COM and NO ports. It connects to the MPPT relay plug. I have it in remote mode. I have set the BMV to cut off at 50 volts.The MPPT is charging. To test to see if it will cut off on an over voltage condition, I lower the high voltage relay setting to 46 volts when the battery is at 48 volts. The MPPT keeps charging. How do I get the MPPT to stop charging according to the parameters that I set in the BMV? I would like to also cut off charging at low temperature based on the installed temp sensor.

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @don1cobb

Did you get it to work yet? I think you should use the COM and NC port of the relay, to get a reliable system (when a wire is cut, the mppt will stop)

I'm assuming you only use voltage to test the functionality? as the MPPT can be configured to any voltage..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

don1cobb avatar image
don1cobb answered ·

I did get it to work. The secret seemed to be putting the relay in default mode, not remote mode. Once I did that, the BMV was able to cutoff the MPPT according to how I programmed it.

I still have a question about the MPPT. What does the Load Output setting do? Especially given that I am using the BMV to shut the charging down under my conditions. I currently have it set to User Def. Algorithm 2, between 38 volts and 50 volts. Is this doing anything.

Thanks for your response and help.

Don

2 |3000