question

bjenks avatar image
bjenks asked

Tiffin Wayfarer Solar cable connections

My RV came with the BVM-712 Smart. Everything was connected to the correct side of the shunt except the solar cables are connected directly to the batteries via a 30A fuse and controller. Several owners have said the negative also needs to be connected to the frame. So I went to the Tiffin factory and asked them to correct it under warranty. They told me Victron sales and engineering came in and told them they are doing it correctly. I showed him the manual that says to even connect the Solar to the frame. He wouldn’t do it saying Victron has confirmed they are doing it right. I was hoping to hear from Victron on who is right.

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Bjenks

Is the only item there that is Victron the BMV?

Are you sure the solar cables are directly connected to the battery? Not going through a charge controller of some sort?

All negatives should be connected to the load side of the shunt, only the battery on the other side.

Maybe a picture of your set up will help us understand what you are asking here?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bjenks avatar image
bjenks answered ·

No, there is multiple items connected to the shunt. I am attaching a DC drawings of the connections that should help. I am also adding a picture of the solar connections and the shunt connections. Again, supposedly Victron met Tiffin and told Tiffin that not connecting the solar to the ground or shunt is either OK or the correct method. Every unit they build supposedly has the solar connected directly to the battery. I find that hard to understand as the engine alternator when charging is showing up on the Victron so why not the solar charger?

DC DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM.pdf

img-3124.jpg img-3161.jpg

img-3124.jpg (2.6 MiB)
img-3161.jpg (2.9 MiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

I don't see how SOC could remain correct if the shunt is not measuring the solar as well. Which it can't do if it is connected to the battery directly.

The number of lugs stacked there is crazy on the shunt though. Space is definitely tight. The positive from the solar can be direct to battery, but definitely not the negative.

You might find the original design was ok hence it was approved. Maybe this one was not quite implemented correctly? Speculation here.

But the BMV install manual is pretty specific about all negatives being on the other side of the shunt.

0 Likes 0 ·