question

glenn-matthiesen avatar image
glenn-matthiesen asked

MPPT 100/50 Power Terminal Size

The manual for the 100/30 & 100/50 lists the power terminals size as 16 mm² /AWG6 which has a max. amp. capacity of 37A. Fine for the 100/30, but the 100/50 would require a 21.2 mm² /AWG4 conductor (60A capacity) to carry the current. Please advise on the AWG that you have used successfully in this application.

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Glenn Matthiesen,

Where are you getting your current rating capacity for your wire from?

There is an online sizing calculator that I like to use here - http://wirewizard.bambachcables.com.au

The sq mm area of Copper is one factor, but it also depends on the temperature rating of the insulation, and others. Ultimately the current rating is determined by the wire manufacturer, and the type of installation (eg enclosed in conduit with other wires, etc).

A 16 mm², 90 degree Celsius, XLPE, single core, spaced flexible copper wire has a current carrying capacity of 110A.

A more common 75 degree Celsius rating will carry up to 91A.

You may need to shop around for some high current capacity wire that what you have rated there.

For more technical information about DC wiring - please have a read of a draft of our upcoming book on the topic - Wiring Unlimited.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

glenn-matthiesen avatar image glenn-matthiesen commented ·

Thanks Guy! The confusion started when I referred to an "American Wire Gauge Conductor Size Table" provided by Solaris Solar. I took the Table as a standard. Apparently, not all tables are created equal.

Cheers,

Glenn

0 Likes 0 ·