question

glenn-matthiesen avatar image
glenn-matthiesen asked

Connecting a Victron MPPT to a Multiplus inverter/charger

Upon reviewing the Victron article "MultiPlus DC-Solar 1600VA / 12 volt / 725W Solar / 440Ah battery", the pictorial schematics indicate the possibility of connecting a Victron MPPT directly to a Multiplus. Specifically, the negative battery lead from the MPPT connects to the Neg. side of the BMV-712 shunt, while the positive battery lead from the MPPT connects to the Pos. terminal of the battery bank. My question is, can I connect the positive lead directly to the battery Pos. connection terminal of the Multiplus? It just seems unnecessary and redundant to run a separate lead all the way to the battery bank. Electrically, connecting directly to the Multiplus should be no different.

MPPT Controllers
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Personally I like to wire components separately to the buss (or battery).

For fusing and isolation reasons.

0 Likes 0 ·
glenn-matthiesen avatar image glenn-matthiesen klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Understood. I will however, install a 60A breaker on the positive leg to the Multiplus.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Glenn.

It's certainly possible to do this. Victron themselves do it inside their Easysolar boxes with both +ve and -ve connections, complete with fuse, all in a nice'n'tidy factory setup.

No separate pv (Edit - mppt output) isolator though, but your choice what to do there..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

glenn-matthiesen avatar image
glenn-matthiesen answered ·

Thanks JohnC, I thought as much. I certainly will be installing a breaker between the PV and MPPT.

Cheers, Glenn

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

That's surely recommended, but I wasn't clear - there's no mppt output isolator in the Easy. I'll make a minor edit there.

0 Likes 0 ·
lacigas avatar image
lacigas answered ·

Hi Glenn, can you point me please to the original article, you're referring to ("MultiPlus DC-Solar 1600VA / 12 volt / 725W Solar / 440Ah battery"). I can't find it.

many thanks,

Laci

2 |3000