question

yanni avatar image
yanni asked

invertor alarm flashes

i have the VICTRON MULTIPLUS 48/1200/13

I ve plugged my new fridge into a RFI filtered power board with surge protector and put a ferrite

on the neutral of the fridge,the fridge is 60watts but shoots up to 150watts when the compressor kicks in ,it all runs fine my question is the red light (alarm) flashes once , the inverter fan turns on for about 4 seconds,im assuming that it is o.k and that the inverter is doing its job?

alarm
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
charlie-d avatar image
charlie-d answered ·

I think you will find it is the high startup current of the compressor. It can be up to 10 times the normal current drawn. I think it is just showing the large instantaneous draw over and above its normal limit.

It is for a very short period but it shows up. the cheaper the fridge the worse the problem. Yes I think the inverter is doing its job. I have seen it on the 800va inverter but not on the 1200VA

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

yanni avatar image yanni commented ·

Thankyou Charlie.

0 Likes 0 ·

Ive re run the cables from the battery to the controler than to the inverter all in 6mm

when the battery the us3000c is at 100% i turn the PV isolator off ,the fridge, the water pump all works fine nothing trips ,when i turn the the solar back on to the 150/45 contoller ,when its in absorption or float charge and the battery is at 56volts or round about and showing 95% on the cerbo the battery goes into alarm mode when the compressor turns on , from the fridge .BUT IT runs fine when its in BULK charge.is their a way i can change any of the parameters through the VICTRON INTERFACE??

0 Likes 0 ·
billys1337 avatar image
billys1337 answered ·

Im in the same boat as you, 1200VA multiplus, and when my fridge compressor kicks in the alarm red LED comes on for a second and you can hear the invertor struggling. It goes away and then everything seems to be fine.
Its been doing this for about 4 months now without any problem as far as I can tell.

2 |3000

yanni avatar image
yanni answered ·

when i first plugged in the new fridge (cheap one) and swithched it on obviously it spiked up very quick,the red alarm light clicked on and seemed very load ,then seemed like it was about to trip the polytech 3000 battery but it did not do that,the spike only jumped to 150watts but its the speed of the spike wich the inverter does not like and the invertor fan never kicked in,so i brought a powerboard with an RFI filter and surge protector all in one and now the red light alarm flashes once very quickley with no noise and the inverter fan comes on for about 3 seconds and everything runs smoothly ,also that powerboard is good if their is a lightning storm around you because the E.M.I

can cause the inverter to go into alarm mode with fridge working.

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

You can also get soft starts which filter the startup spike. Just plugs into the socket and the fridge (or whatever) plugs into that.

It's unlikely that the spike reported is as high as what the multi sees, time period is too short.

3 comments
2 |3000

thankyou kev im doing some research on the soft start module im worried, it my harm the compressor?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ yanni commented ·
@YANNI

As a short experiment, try watch what happens when the RFI filter board is not plugged in. Is there still an overload?

I had a fridge do this and found that upgrading my DC cables sorted out the issue. But I had lithium batteries. What batteries do you have? Are they correctly sized for the inverter.

0 Likes 0 ·
yanni avatar image yanni Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Alexandra i have the pylontech US3000C 48V and the 4mm coming out of the mppt 150/45 charge controller to the inverter, from the battery to the charger is 6mm do you

suggest i go 6mm to the inverter as well ? as for the RFI filter board the noise and the alarm light,it was alot worse with out it. coming from a family off electricians my auncle

suggested to put a ferrite on the pos+ and neg- side of the D.C cable coming out of the charger to the inverter ,wich im going to try this weekend.my aim is to stop the red light from coming on for a split second.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic