question

solarlion avatar image
solarlion asked

CerboGX Flash lifetime when writing setting each minute?

I can not find any information about the allowed flash write cycles on Cerbo GX?

Background is, i want to run a script which set once per minute the MaxDischargePower to prevent ESS from this on/off 20 times a day during winter when it always load the battery 10 minutes, then discharges 2 minutes and repeat that forever. So there are scripts, which set the MaxDischargePower to 80% of solarPower when SOC is < minSCO + 5%. This keeps ESS on and takes lots of load from the battery.

But my concern is that the Cerbo GX flash will die because of this very frequent write commands. And the Flash can not be replaced and the GX device must at least life for 20 Years or so...

So is there any Information on "how much writing" this flash can endure? Or any long therm experience from one who write to the settings each minute over years?

cerbo gxESSess settings
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthew Hennigar avatar image
Matthew Hennigar answered ·

I'd like to hear from Victron on this question. I'm looking at updating ESS related registers every 30 seconds and it is essential to understand if they are stored on eeprom with the related lifetime write limits.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

solarlion avatar image solarlion commented ·

Would also love to have an official answer.

But what I can tell - values are stored on EMMC NAND Flash (Cerbo GX) with 4 GB capacity. Typical TBW of those parts are 1,5 TBW.

cat /sys/class/block/mmcblk1/device/name
MMC4GB

cat /sys/class/block/mmcblk1/device/oemid
0x0101

cat /sys/class/block/mmcblk1/device/ocr
0x00040000

cat /sys/class/block/mmcblk1/device/rev
0x7

Im just doing it on my own risk. When it breaks, i have a ready configured spare part on my shelf. Never was able to get an official lifetime answer.

0 Likes 0 ·