question

conundrum avatar image
conundrum asked

Dvcc limits my solar power

Hi all,I have 5kw installed with 6 100/20 mppt and 3 us3000c pylontech batteries.I recently connected the batteries with Cerbo and activated DVCC.When I was on ve.smart network with Bluetooth my 100/20's with batteries full outputed from 2.8kw to 3.3kw at noon,but with Dvcc and batteries full I'm bottlenecked at 2.2kw.Maybe I'm doing something wrong,if someone had same problems please tell me how to resolve it.

DVCC
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

It is forced on when a supported battery like Pylon is detected over CAN.

Smart batteries should be managing their own charging which is why they want it on.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

First, make sure you are properly setup as per https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom

Next, remove smart networking, you can't mix wired and bluetooth, they can conflict.

With them connected to a GX they will set the maximum charge current, you can view this via the GX.

Make sure the GX is reporting all the batteries.

Check all the MPPTs are also visible on the GX.

Ultimately if your loads are X and the battery requests a CCL of Y, then the MPPTs will only produce X+Y.

2 |3000

conundrum avatar image
conundrum answered ·

Thank you for your quick response.So,I checked all the things you listed,the mppt's are all visible,there is no smart network,there are 3 battery modules,the discharged current is automatically set to 111 amps,and the charge current is set by the battery at 47 amps when is over 90% of charge(maybe this is the reason for only 2.2kw of solar?)

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Yes, charge current is automatically lowered near top of charge. This is also affected by balancing. You were probably overcharging them without DVCC.

1 Like 1 ·
conundrum avatar image
conundrum answered ·

Ok,so I should leave Dvcc on?I think it's best for the batteries,but if I use a high load of 3.5 kw my panels will produce onlyy 2.2 kw instead of 3kw.I will test again without Dvcc and see how the battery is doing.Anyway the batteries are 1 year old and they are 100% of health,I think smart network is doing very good.

2 |3000

conundrum avatar image
conundrum answered ·

I disconnected the can cable from the battery and connected all the mppt's to the smart netwok.It seems they are faster and better when connected to the smart network than when controlled by the battery BMS.

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Why would you want to disconnect the battery management which is designed to look after your battery? If it is slowing down the mppts, that is because it is what it needs to help balance and preserve your cells. It is your money and your investment, but you seem to be fixing a problem that doesn’t exist.

0 Likes 0 ·
conundrum avatar image
conundrum answered ·

It was only a test, probably i will preserve the batteries and reconnect the BMS with Dvcc

1 comment
2 |3000

rogio avatar image rogio commented ·
Sounds like a good plan @Conundrum .

And by the way - as you were affraid you load of 3.5kW would not be covered - that would be the proper test - to engage the load beside of charging the batery. (not to drop the setup back to smart network - which seems ignoring the battery "needs")

0 Likes 0 ·
conundrum avatar image
conundrum answered ·

I reconnected the BMS and Dvcc for the battery safety,the only problem is the solar would not deliver the maximum when is plenty of it.The battery is fully charged at 10.30,being off grid I'd like to use every watt of solar without discharging the battery.I will try to connect my biggest load when the battery is under 90% soc.

1 comment
2 |3000

rogio avatar image rogio commented ·
@Conundrum Try running the load any time, depending on the solar you should see, when there is another consumer, not only the almost full battery, there will be bigger production satisfying as the load also the battery - in case there will be enough sun.

I mean - the battery is preventing itself from high charge, when almost ful and alone there to take the current. But in case you have things set correctly - that battery protection will not affect the solar production, when also loads are there - then the "production" will try to deliver the "loads" + "the battery maximum" (again, depending on the sun, .. and your setup).

Thus somehow, as you were affraid, the battery does not take enough (and as @nickdb besides of very valuable instructions suggested to you - be "nice to your battery" and let it take only as much as it can manage)., .. the load will take "the rest" - or in the logic of your setup - they will share it, when not enought power from the solar for all. That is how it is intended - to feed the loads, then the battery (there are exceptions..) and then also for example to feed-in to grid or throttle the solar. (depending on setup).

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources