question

ahforster avatar image
ahforster asked

What charger for 125Ah SuperCycle

My AGM 125Ah Supercycle battery in our Mobilehome is charged by a built-in electroblock (Schaudt EBL99) with a maximum of 14.3 Volts. The battery does not exceed 14.26V (Visible on the smart shunt).

There are also 2 solar panels (Victron together 280 Wp) with an MPPT 100/20 charger. The panels and charger were installed today, but due to the lack of sun I cannot yet see whether they fully charge the battery.

I read on a forum that it is also better to charge the battery a few times a year with an external charger. One that can supply 14.8 volts. So if I let the charger do its work "next to" the electroblock charger, it will fill the gap between 14.3 and 14.8 Volts.

But I am confused regarding the different types (IP22 / IP65 / IP67) and the different Amps I can choose. I don't want the"highest" solution but one that could do the job right.

What would an expert advise me on this?

charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The IP numbers refer to water and ingress protection.

Your solar charger will fully charge the battery if you don't use more power in a day than solar can provide.

Charging to 28V should only be done if recommended by the battery manufacturer/supplier for that type of battery. Most batteries do not need it and can be damaged by it. The solar charger has a setting for it, suggest you disable it. In Victron terminology it's called equalisation.

Charge current. If there are no instructions from the battery supplier, a good max is one fifth of the capacity. So up to 20A for a one hundred amp hour battery. Err lower if needed, just takes longer.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ahforster avatar image
ahforster answered ·

I assume your 28V is 14,8V? In the specs of my 125 Victron Supercycle it states that a charge of 14,6-14,9 fast recharge is possible.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Yes, I mixed up the systems, sorry.

The fast charge settings are ok if it's in the instructions, but can shorten battery life.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic