question

alaskannoob avatar image
alaskannoob asked

Can you power an Orion-Tr 48V through Cerbo GX Relay 2?

Could I connect my 48-56V bus bar to an Orion-Tr 48V model in such a way that I could turn the Orion on/off using the Cerbo GX Relay #2? The Orion would actually be powered by the bus bar, but would be turned on/off through the Cerbo relay.

Intent would be to power Starlink from the Orion (which would stabilize the power from the bus bar to 48V) and use the Cerbo GX over the LAN to turn Starlink on/off.

I've heard the Orion has a jumper on the remote on/off terminal that maybe can be used to connect it to the relay 2 of the Cerbo to accomplish this but I don't have an Orion and can't find much about them.

Manual says:

"3. Optional remote on/off: replace the wire bridge on the green connector by a switch (switched current is less than 100 mA), or remove the wire bridge and connect the right-hand terminal of the green connector to the battery plus with a switch (this could for example be the engine run/stop switch)."

It looks like that little U-shaped bridge could be removed, and wires inserted from the Cerbo GX Relay 2 to turn the Orion on/off from the Cerbo. But I just want to confirm this can be done before ordering one!

bridge.jpg

Many thanks for any help!

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
bridge.jpg (39.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Yes.

You can download the manual from the product page. Look at how the LH pin wiring controls it. You would switch a 48V signal to the Orion H pin

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alaskannoob avatar image alaskannoob commented ·

I'm not sure what LH pin or H pin means, but I think I could simply take this U-shaped bridge out of the remote and connect two wires to the Cerbo GX Relay 2 to turn this unit on/off (thereby disrupting the Orion input power from flowing through its output power when the unit is off).

bridge.jpg

But I think I need to find a 48V fuse for this unit since it doesn't come with a fuse like the 24V and 12V models. Any fuse recommendations?

0 Likes 0 ·
bridge.jpg (39.0 KiB)
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

That should work. But there's no need to fuse. This uses internal voltage from the Orion and is connected directly in normal use. It's simply a signal. Or are you talking about the power feed to the Orion? You can get inline fuse holders. But I've no idea what's suitable.

5 comments
2 |3000

alaskannoob avatar image alaskannoob commented ·

Just to confirm, you mean there is no need to fuse the wires from the remote terminal to the Cerbo, but fusing will still be needed from the battery bus to the input of the Orion, right? Or no fusing at all? The manual says:

"2. Connect the input supply cables.

Note: the 12 V and 24 V input models have an internal input fuse (not replaceable). The 48 V models do not have this fuse: external fuse required."

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ alaskannoob commented ·

We're talking at the same time...

Yes, no fuse for the remote. Fuse the input positive at source and the output positive at the Orion

I've got a 48/12 wired up temporarily in my boat. I will check later that it works this way and update

Question is, how will you control the Cerbo relay?

1 Like 1 ·
alaskannoob avatar image alaskannoob kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks, much appreciated. I've got to figure out what kind of fuses to get. My battery bus can deliver between 48-56V or so, so I don't know if that means I need a 48V fuse or a 60V fuse on the input side. I'm guessing a 15A fuse would work although from what I'm reading it's difficult to find a 48V fuse less than 30A, so maybe it will be a 30A fuse. I'll put the fuse close to the battery bus on the input side. I have 38KW of lithium batteries on the bus and I'm reading stuff about interrupt capability being something I need to factor into the fuse selection as well because the batteries could deliver a bunch of current if they short (although they have their own t-fuses before they go to the battery bus).

The output fuse will be close to the Orion and that will be a 48V fuse I suppose since that output power should be regulated. I think the 48/48/6 model I'm looking at puts out 48.2V nominally on the output.

I'll control the Cerbo Relay over the LAN using the Remote Console.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ alaskannoob commented ·
On the input side you need a 60V fuse. The UK uses ceramic cartridge fuses in their plugs at 230V AC. These are easily available at low current ratings, but I don't know if they're ok for DC. Another option may be glass cartridge fuses. But again, I don't know. Last thing you want is the fuse blowing and doing a lot of damage.

The output is at 12V, so car type blade fuses are fine.

The fuses are to protect the wiring, so make sure the cable can take more than the current that blows the fuse.

1 Like 1 ·
alaskannoob avatar image alaskannoob kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

The output for the one I'm looking at is 48V, so I'm considering this cartridge style for both input and output if I can find some kind of single fuse holder for it. I guess they're T class which I think would be good given the lithium battery bank. Many thanks for the info.

https://www.littelfuse.com/products/fuses/industrial-power-fuses/class-t-fuses/jlls.aspx

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Mine has a terminal block plugged in, with the L and H marked. However doesn't matter which is which for you.

img-20231009-090300.jpg

2 |3000