question

sunshinepower avatar image
sunshinepower asked

Adding a Fronius to 2 Phase off grid split system. Without wifi. Can someone please advise, Thanks.

I don't know if there is something wrong with my questions or it is outside the knowledge of advise here but if someone could give some advise would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

I have a 2 phase split system 2x10kw Quattro's with Cerbo GX, batteries and solar off grid system. On one phase I have another solar array that is not being used. (connected/wired to the out line of one of the Quattros). I want to incorporate that unused solar power (5kw) into the system by using a Fronius inverter, to help charge the batteries and provide more power to the line that it is on.

(have not purchased inverter just yet, waiting to make sure all will work well together).

I have no wifi, I can run a data line between Fronius and CerboGX if needed or preferred.
I know the inverter needs the extra pv inverter assistant added, for phase shift.

Question 1 - Does there need to be a direct data link between the Fronius and CerboGXor inverter, would it be better for control and or information to Cerbo GX, or inverter?
Question 2 - How is it best, and what connection are used to convey data between the Fronius and Cerbo GX, or inverter without wifi, is it just plug and run or can it be problematic.
Question 3 - Does the PV inverter assistant only get added to the Quattro that the Fronius inverter line is on and does it matter if the Quattro is the master or slave?
Question 4 - Is Fronius still the best and preferred inverter to use with Victron systems, which Fronius is best for the job. I'm in Australia, I believe the Fronius Primos are no longer made or available here and a Fronius Gen24 Primo 5kw would be the best to use.

Thank you for your help.

Fronius
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Rutra Gawen avatar image
Rutra Gawen answered ·

1. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ac_coupling:fronius says lan connection enables information on gx and controlling using modbus tcp, its not necessary. Setting inverter to microgrid50/60 is required for work

2. link above states it even can be direct connection fronius to gx lan port, but I assume you can use simple switch/router if you have incoming lan/internet to cerbo

3. Dont know for sure if that matter but I would use it only on 1 and master

4. you can search if someone have already made it but it looks like only option to get Gen24

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sunshinepower avatar image sunshinepower commented ·
Thank you for your help with this, The information in the link looks great, I will go over it all , much appreciated.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Rutra Gawen

The Victron RS 450/100 mppt is a cheaper option and easier to integrate for a 5kw array.

Way less complicated.

1 comment
2 |3000

sunshinepower avatar image sunshinepower commented ·
The solar panels I want to connect has to work on the 240v output of the Quattro due to where they are situated, as wiring is already ready. It would be quite a bit of new wiring to connect them straight to a charge controller, it could be done though.
0 Likes 0 ·