question

Lee Tickett avatar image
Lee Tickett asked

Does a smart "dimmable plug" exist capable of 3KW?

Since getting my ESS up and running my solar iBoost doesn't really do what I want/need anymore.

Temporarily I have replace it with a simple smart plug with energy monitoring capability.

The only dimmable smart plugs I can find are meant for lights (max power of about 200W).

Is there a smart device available I can use to switch on/off and vary the power to my immersion heater (up to 3KW)?

I am using Home Assistant, so don't need it to integrate directly with the Victron equipment.

Thanks

home assistant
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Lee Tickett

You should probably mentioned what voltage the immersion heater is working at?

You could always use a Shelley to open and close a contactor that can handle bigger amps.

0 Likes 0 ·
Lee Tickett avatar image Lee Tickett Alexandra ♦ commented ·
I'm in the UK, it's 240 volts- thanks Alexandra
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Lee Tickett commented ·

The Shelley can do 16A. So should be able to 3k ÷ 230v is 13A.

We have a 3kw geyser element we run smart switching.

I still felt uncomfortable (paranoid) with that being so close to the rating, so have the Shelley opening and closing a 25A contactor.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

I have only seen manual industrial dimmers - up to 10kW - used to "dim" a geyser element.

This can be switched with any number of available smart timers which measures power, I use several tuya based ones for this purpose. I haven't seen a smart, high-powered, dimmer for this type of application.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic