question

lstyles avatar image
lstyles asked

If multiplus compact is off will AC power pass through it?

I have a multiplus 12/2000 and wanted to know if AC power will still pass through it to the AC circuits downstream if the inverter/charger is turned off? I ask because if the multiplus stops working then you would have no way to power your AC system without rewiring around the multiplus. As an example, the EMS surge protector hard wired into many RVs has a bypass mode so that if it stops working you can still pass power through it.

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

No a Multiplus won't 'pass though' power if it is OFF.

It has a 2 pole relay on the AC In side that is normally open - so the Multiplus needs to be ON to energise the relay.

Refer to appendix B in the manual:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-MultiPlus-Compact-2000-230V-EN-NL-FR-DE-ES.pdf

You could however wire in your own external transfer switch to totally disconnect and bypass the Multiplus.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lstyles avatar image
lstyles answered ·

Thanks Mark!

Would you happen to have a suggested transfer switch that you would recommend? Something simple preferred as I am installing this as we speak and need to figure out where to put it. I don’t critically depend on AC power in my trailer so could tolerate a loss of AC power if the multiplus malfunctioned but since I’m installing now, I might as well add it now if I can.

2 |3000

lstyles avatar image
lstyles answered ·

Another question comes to mind...if inverter is turned on but malfunctioning, will the AC pass through? It would seem like in most cases it would because if on th relay would be energized as you show above. Of course if it was the actual relay that was malfunctioning then it wouldn’t work. Am I off base on this?

2 |3000