question

andreas-rieck avatar image
andreas-rieck asked

Smartsolar MPPT 100/50 switching in between bulk and off in the morning, sometimes stuck in off mode

I have a strange issue with a SmartSolar MPPT 100/50.
Each morning (and evening) the status is extreme frequent switchin in between "bulk" and "off".

1.jpg

The problem is, that sometimes the MPPT is stuck in Off mode,
while the other MPPT's running well.
Screenshot is from a sunny day, no clouds on sky.

When this issue happen, that the MPPT is stuck in off mode,
I have to remotely login and Switch Off / Switch On the MPPT Charger from his Settings.
But this workaround means I have to manually control this MPPT3 100/50 each morning ...

... here:

2.jpg

Within the same time another MPPT1 100/30 string (same panel orientation) don't show the issue.

3.jpg

What I have tested so far ?

I have replaced the faulty MPPT3 100/50 against another spare (older) Smartsolar MPPT 100/30, all is fine !

However the spare MPPT 100/30 which I have is a bit undersized for this string, not much, but few Amp's on a sunny day. That's why I want to use the 100/50

Then I have tested another (newer) SmartSolar 150/45 ... curious same issue with the (newer) 100/50. Both newer (Problem-) Smartsolar MPPTs have a Serial Number starting with HQ23...

Then I swapped the other working MPPT1 100/30 to the "problem string" ... no issue as well, all is fine with the String 3.

So the problem seems definitive with the MPPT 100/50, not the cables, not fuses, battery ...
... as far as I see.

The Firmware is everywhere the same on latest. v1.61
MPPT Rotary Switch is at position 7 (LifePo4) (all MPPTs) and I use the default settings for Victron's Lifepo4 from the App.

All MPPTs are networked over BT.

And all MPPTs and the SmartBMV 712 are connected to a Raspi 3 (Firmware v2.89) over USB.(VE.direct USB cables).

DVCC is disabled.

4.jpg

Remote Console say ... Not networked for all MPPTs

5.jpg

Does this make a difference to implement Networking some how ?

The only difference so far I see is ...
that my older MPPTs with Serial# HQ18 ... are always working perfect,
while any newer MPPT Models Serial# HQ23... not.

It's a island system, not connected to grid. (no such ESS setup).

I'm using a Phoenix Inverter and Victron LifePo4 Battery Bank managed with a Victron smallBMS.
No VE.can, no VE.bus.

Any ideas for another workaround, other then manually check each morning the bulk state ?

MPPT ControllersMPPT SmartSolar
1.jpg (21.1 KiB)
2.jpg (19.5 KiB)
3.jpg (19.2 KiB)
4.jpg (104.8 KiB)
5.jpg (18.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@Andreas Rieck It is perfectly normal for the mppt to take a little bit of time in the morning to produce power.

If there is not enough sun, the mppt will stay off.

If there is enough sun for the mppt to start, but not enough sun to charge the battery, the mppt will switch between off and bulk.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mjs500 avatar image
mjs500 answered ·

ve. Smart network work between blue teeth devises not with GX device so Remote Console say .. Not networked for all MPPTs is correct as gx device and its soft ware is not controlling Mppt controllers with your set up to date

2 |3000

andreas-rieck avatar image
andreas-rieck answered ·

@klim8skeptic
Thanks for the response, however there is really enough Sun, screenshots are from clear sky in the morning. And all other MPPTs running in parallel (same sun direction), dont habe the issue.
(Same panel types).

The question is not about the Sun, because there is no issues with the older Serial Numbers HQ18...

Because:
As soon if I will replace the String3 with a older MPPT 100/30 ... the symptom will never happen at all.

As soon if I will plug in the MPPT 100/50 (latest rev.) into the same position, the issue is seen each day, everytime.

String2 and String1 (in parallel, same sun direction) are using older MPPTs with Serial# HQ18... => no issue.

The major issue is not this heavy switching "on and off" for ~45min ... while the other 2 MPPTs are operating fine (stay in bulk) in the same moment.
The real problem is that sometime the controller is then stuck at off mode, while the other MPPT1 100/30 is delivering for example 300WattPower ... the faulty 100/50 keep staying in off mode all the day long, even on a clear blue sky hot sunny day.

When this issue happen (stuck in off, after heavy switching )
then I have to manually switch the MPPT 100/50 off from settings and on again.
This triggers the MPPT promptly to go into bulk mode (and will stay stable).

1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Flat arrays might exhibit prolonged start ups?

mppt-startup.png

0 Likes 0 ·
mppt-startup.png (80.4 KiB)