question

basecamper-vans avatar image
basecamper-vans asked

AGM Super Cycle Battery recommended continuous discharge current

Can anyone point me to a spec sheet with this information? Unless I'm missing something, the documents here https://www.victronenergy.com/batteries/gel-and-agm-batteries don't indicate the recommended continuous discharge current for these products. Thank you for your help.

AGM Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi. Being Pb's this is one of those things hard to quantify as a 'recommendation'. I do note they've a C5 rating, which is suggesting 0.2C to achieve that. A 200Ah model at that C5 is thence 40A.

They've tested at 0.2C of C20 rating, which for the same batt is 230Ah, so 46A.

Then of course it depends on how you define 'continuous'. That's a lotta A, and could be expected to cause serious V sag to the point of downstream loads baulking at the V before the ratings are reached. And lifetime issues drawing them down deep regularly.

They may well be at the highest end of the quality spectrum, but any recommendations you might find will still likely say 'treat em as gently as you can' for longer life.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kai avatar image
kai answered ·

That gel-agm document does indicate 0.05C (20 hour discharge) has been used for rating the capacity. Without the benefit of additional information, I'd conservatively assume that the service life estimates are provided using the same condition. That might give you some rough reference point in defining your own design limit on the maximum discharge current / battery sizing.

The supercycle datasheet does say 0.2C -> at least 300 hundred 100% DoD cycles. That's pretty rough operating conditions and I don't know how long you expect the battery to last.

Somewhere between the above is a thumb suck estimate just right for you!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic