question

matthias-nagel avatar image
matthias-nagel asked

Which standardized (and harmonized) wire type for DC yacht installation?

What (European) wire type should be used for a non-commercial, recreational yacht installation? Are there any regulations which require a specific type? If yes, what is the designation of the norm/law/regulation and what type of wire is specified? If no, what do you recommend and more importantly _why_? Actually, the _why_ is the important part for me.

Background

I have already riffled through the entire VDE 02xx series which defines wire types and their intended usage. No word at all about leisure yachts or maritime vessels in general. VDE 0100-709 only regulated the on-shore side. VDE 0129-507 specifically adresses sport and leisure yachts, but is kept rather vague. Basically it says "wiring should be appropriate". I also had a look at ES-TRIN (a European Standard). I asked two whole sales and three cable manufacturers. The best answer I got was that they didn't know either, some told me I shouldn't care, but take what I believe what's right and replace it, if it beaks in the future (but I do care!) and some simply tried to sell me their product. But when I asked about sea water resistance, UV stabilization and such things I got dumb face expressions.

So this is how far I got.

My initial idea which still seems to be the best was H07BQ-F or H07BQ-K. So basically heavy duty, PU-insulated, flexible wire for fixed (-K type) or movable (-F type) installation. According to the type rating, the insulation is resistant to sea water, most natural and synthetic oils, acids and leach, UV-stabilized, rated for high conductor temperatures and "kerbzäh" (I believe "groove tenacious" in English?). So basically it looks like the right choice. However, I have never seen that type of cable being used on board of vessels, but only on construction sites. This make me suspicous and I fear there is an error in my conclusions.

Then there is H05V2-K which is even advertised by one manufacturer as "FIVENORMS", because this type is recognized by UL, CSA, HAR, EAC and UKCA. Moreover it is listed by German Lloyds. However, due to its PVC insulation this wire is neither resistant to oils nor UV stabilized. In particular it must not be used for outdoor installations, e.g. it must not be used to feed on-deck installations like navigational lights, etc. The only advantage above "normal" H05V (without the "2") is that the insulation is rated for 105°C conductor temperature which seems to be a requirement in the US. However, so is H07BQ.

wiring
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers

Related Resources