question

katja1011 avatar image
katja1011 asked

Which isolation transformer to choose?

We plan to install an isolation transformer on our monohull, but struggle with which one to choose.

We are a boat fully equipped with VE products and have a Multiplus II 24v/5000w.

Because of the inverter, the logical choice (or so everybody tells me) is to go for the 7000w VE iso trans , because you wound’t want to decrease your power intake potentiall while on shore power.

But…. We like the 3600w iso trans much better, as it auto detects if it is on 115 or 230v input (the 7000 only has 230v).

Our MuliPlus II has PowerAssist, afaik. Which means that it will add current (with energy from the battery) whenever demand exceeds the power of the shore power (via the iso trans).

Which, in my mind, means that I will not downgrade in power input capacity by choosing the 3600w auto, or at least not in power availability to my AC onboard systems: the MultiPlus takes care of that when needed (i.e. if power consumption exceeds shore power intake).

So, I’m leaning towards the 3600w atm.

My question: is there any oversight in the previously described thought process? Anything else I should take into account while making my choice? Hints, tips?

I’d like to make a well thought through buying decision…

Thank you for your help!

Isolation Tranformer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic