question

carpenike avatar image
carpenike asked

Victron Orion-TR 48/12-30 Cold-Crank Generator

Hello,

Quick question, is anyone able to successfully use an (or a multiple of) Orion-TR 48/12-30 converters to provide 12v to an Onan Diesel generator and get it to start? I have 3 of these to provide 90A at 13.5v, and I can see it meet the amp demand on a shunt, but voltage on the 12v side of the Orions drops to 11v and the 12v system resets.

It seems that the Orions aren't fast enough to meet the amp demand of an engine starting, is this true?

Orion DC-DC Converters not smartvoltage dropstarting generator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

I do not know which Onan Diesel you have, but the one I have seen, is starting without any probkems from a 54Ah battery...

Instead of installinga battery of expensive Orions, you should consider installing the 12V Battery and a small 4-8A charger.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

carpenike avatar image
carpenike answered ·

Think I've figured it out. I need a "starter battery", that's capable of 500+ amps for 3-5 seconds at start time. Ordered a dakota lithium battery that I'll put after the Orions to act as a bit of a capacitor. It'll be charged by the Orions, and provide the CCAs required to start the generator.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron DC-DC converters product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic