question

hawktron avatar image
hawktron asked

BMV-712 midpoint connection 2x 24v strings

Hi, I have a 24v bank comprised of 8x 6v batteries in two parallel strings of 4 batteries. Which string do I connect the midpoint lead to? Or do I need to interconnect the midpoints of both strings (midpoint parallel connection)?

Thanks in advance.

Duane

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Hello Duane

Like you say, make a midpoint connection between the two parallel strings and use that as the midpoint connection for the BMV-712.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

Hi Duane,

I have the exact same setup with my system (8x6v batteries configured as 2x 24v strings) and have mid point voltage monitoring.

But I also;

1- Have fuses at the mid point connections to the battery - that way you don't have to use super thick cable to accommodate a battery failure & potential high current through the mid point link cable.

2- Run the mid point link cables to a 4 position battery switch (1, 2, 1+2 & OFF) and then to the BMV-712 B2 terminal - that way you can disconnect he mid point link if/as desired and also check the mid point voltage error of each individual string.

1562293550818.png (792.6 KiB)
2 |3000