question

6ixgun avatar image
6ixgun asked

Blue Smart IP22 LifePO4 Settings conflicts ?

We have a fleet of IP22 Chargers for our vehicles- they are great chargers - perhaps the best one on the market for keeping vehicle batteries in a perfect state during storage - there are some things that are annoying though when it comes to keeping LifePO4 batteries in storage mode.

We are using 200AH LifePO4 batteries, when they are out in the field, they are charged to 100% using solar or DCDC, and when docked (parked / storage) for more than a few days we keep the batteries charged at 50% per the manufacturer recommendation.

The IP22 does a great job but there are two things happening that we want to DISABLE because they are not overly healthy for stored LifePO4 batteries.

Repeated Absorption & Reconditioning - why are there no options to disable these two lead acid battery tactics in the expert menu ? We have set the repeated absorption interval to its max @ 45 days and the recondition interval to the mininum of 15 min but we NEVER want this function to kick in.

I do not know if the reconditioning sequence ever kicks in, not even sure how I would track that but since its not disabled I am assuming its kicking at some point ? The repeated absorption sequence definitely kicks in.

When repeated absorption kicks in for instance - it applies 30A to the battery for X minutes and it brings the charge state up to 75%, then the battery discharges back to the storage voltage. This cycle is undesireable. We have mitigated that some by setting the interval to 45 days but how about an option to disable it entirely ? I have also noticed that when power is interrupted for any reason the charger also immediate goes into absorption charge no matter what the battery state is - again - can we somehow prevent that ? We do not want un-necessary charge cycles on our expensive batteries !!

If this cannot be addressed now , perhaps in a firmware update down the road ?

screenshot-2023-09-13-at-80039-am.png

bluesmart ip22
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Recondition is automatically off when lithium preset is selected. You may need to see if your firmware is up to date.

I don't see a way of stopping the repeated absorption.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6ixgun avatar image 6ixgun commented ·
We are using the custom settings, so have no idea if it's kicking in or not... it's not clear in the manual.
0 Likes 0 ·
Nev avatar image
Nev answered ·

We usually set our 30A IP22 charger to "Power Supply" mode for the occasional hookup.

Our 300Ah 4 cell LiFePO4 battery will sit at 85-90% SOC with the voltage set at c13.25V forever even while in use.

To maintain that theoretical ideal SOC you could adjust the output voltage to maintain zero charging current once the battery is at 50% SOC.

1 comment
2 |3000

6ixgun avatar image 6ixgun commented ·
We were using power supply mode for a while but that had its own set of challenges - not sure why we went back but I may experiment with that again. Thanks !
0 Likes 0 ·