question

daza avatar image
daza asked

CT or ET112

Just finished my install, but I’m seeing the CT clamp of the Victron having a harder time at keeping import export to 0watts compared to the ET112, Ideally I would like to utilise the ET112 else were but want to keep grid import export to a minimum, grid set point is 0watts. on the clamp it seems to draw 20 to 30watts.

ct or et112
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

If you search the forum you will find it was discuused comprehensively. I summary, the CT is faster at ramping up/down.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

daza avatar image daza commented ·
I have looked but my situation seems to suggest the ET112 is working better as I’m more or less keeping to 0watts with that rather than the CT
0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw daza commented ·

Best to test/compare the numbers from your supplier's actual 30min or daily consumption readings, but expect 0.2-0.6kW being taken from the grid if loads don't exceed the inverter output and top up from the grid.

1 Like 1 ·
daza avatar image daza ejrossouw commented ·
@ejrossouw as I’m looking at my smart meter i can see it hitting 40watts at idle ie it just taking the base load of 560watts from the house. Think I might have to just switch it over and see how it pans out but looking on the smartmeter it’s taking more from the grid and I don’t want to change the grid setting to -10 as I don’t want my precious battery going to the grid
0 Likes 0 ·
Craig Chamberlain avatar image
Craig Chamberlain answered ·

When I previously ran completely from the CT clamp, my grid set point of 0w was tracked pretty accurately and quickly. Since moving to the ET112 instead of the CT, I still get good tracking to set point but it is a bit slower. Is your CT clamp fully clamped shut? Check for any particles of debris which might be stopping the ferrite cores from closing fully. Also check your connection to the inverter is sound.

The sort of scenario where the ET112 is slower to respond is where you have high loads like a kettle or oven/grill/hob cycling on an off. When the load cycles on it will draw from the grid until the inverter has ramped up, and when it cycles off, you will export to the grid until the inverter has ramped down. With the CT I found this to be maybe 5x quicker than with the ET112. But the ET112 is a better solution in every other way IMO so I'm willing to put up with the slower ramp times. The net effect on my unintentional grid import/export is really very small when taken over the monthly billing cycle.

2 |3000

daza avatar image
daza answered ·

@Craig Chamberlain ill have a look at the clamp, to see if its fully clamped and if there is anything in between it, but that’s wendesday‘s job now can’t get to it as work at the mo and too late to muck about with it. I couldn’t wait it was nagging me looks like it could have been where I had the Hager flex cable now I have it flat on the cable it is extremely fast at compensating thank you guys now I’ve just freed up the ET112 for the other array when I can get round to it.

1 comment
2 |3000

Craig Chamberlain avatar image Craig Chamberlain commented ·
Glad to hear you made some progress but if you are switching from ET112 to CT for the grid meter, doesn't that mean you lose the ability to distinguish between AC Loads and Critical Loads? As I understand it, the external CT clamp simply replaces the internal clamp which monitors AC-In. So that means the inverter can no longer tell the difference between energy consumed upstream of the inverter and energy consumed downstream through AC-Out 1 and 2. IIRC the graphics for AC Loads and Critical Loads still appear on the display but the values are incorrect. This is why I went from CT to ET112 for my grid meter because having that data was important.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic