question

Fideri avatar image
Fideri asked

2 MPPTs on 1 busbar

Hi Everyone

I searched for help without success. Because of various issues, I can't use Victron approved installers (they fried my pylons and other Victron equipment and then absconded).

Currently, I have a solar array that is connected to 250/100 MPPT which in turn is connected to a busbar for charging and to a Cerbo GX for communication. A temporary stack (set) of lithium batteries is connected to the same busbar for charging and discharging. The entire stack of batteries is also connected to the Cerbo GX for communication with their internal BMS. A Quattro 10000VA is connected to the busbar for inverting. This seems to work rather well.

I'm now looking to expand the system. The plan is to have an extra solar array connected to an extra 250/100 MPPT. This would then be daisy-chained to the existing 250/100 MPPT for communication with the single Cerbo GX (I could also use VE direct ports or VE Can-to-USB interface instead but I don't want to go down that route). I would then connect the new 250/100 MPPT to the existing busbar for charging of the batteries. New lithium batteries would be connected to the busbar in 4 stacks as opposed to the existing 1 stack. For communication purposes, all the 4 stacks would be linked with a communication cable and connected to the Cerbo GX for their internal BMS' to communicate with the device.

Now my 2 questions:

1. Can I connect two MPPTS to only one busbar?

2. Is it OK to connect to the Cerbo GX in this way?

Fideri

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Fideri

Daisy chaining the mppts on ve can is fine. And recommended, you can do up to 25 units like that.

Using a bus bar rather than lug stacking is definitely the way to go as well. As long as the bus bar is rated for the amps it will be processing then you will be fine. You can even connect them to the battery bus bar.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Fideri avatar image
Fideri answered ·

Thanks @Alexandra. That info helps. Fideri

2 |3000