question

kcmusa avatar image
kcmusa asked

Hot skin on RV multiplus IIx120x2

Installed the multiplus II 120x2 years ago. Recently noticed a hot skin condition on my RV.
steps I have looked at;

power cord to inverter input, all lines good.

on inverter no hot skin, on shore I have ac on ground, (hit skin)

is it possible the multiplus is causing this? Have not noticed it in 2 year’s.

if I bond N to G at the service entrance all is good, no hot skin.

ideas to troubleshoot further?

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

Is your AC panel bonded to the chassis?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kcmusa avatar image kcmusa commented ·
Yes
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

There should be nearly zero ohms between neutral and safety ground on the incoming AC connection. Unplug the RV from its receptacle and measure safety ground to neutral at that receptacle. Trace back until you find the open safety ground connection.

The safety ground pin on the RV AC inlet plug should be connected to the RV's chassis. The neutral pin of that connector should not be connected to the RV chassis. With the Multi off, the neutral will NOT make it to the breaker panel. But you can check the Multi input's neutral to the RV AC inlet plug and from the Multi AC output neutral to the breaker panel neutral.

ALL safety grounds should have continuity within the RV.

2 |3000

snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

MP-II has a relay that closes when it's inverting to make the N-G bond. It opens when it's passing through shore AC.

It really sounds like a bad N-G bond provided by shore power.

Do you notice this on multiple shore power sources?

2 comments
2 |3000

kcmusa avatar image kcmusa commented ·
Only on shore power
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem kcmusa commented ·
Noted, but have you tried this on different shore power sources? If so, and you get a hot skin on other shore power sources then the problem is in the RV somewhere, starting at the AC plug. If you plug in other places and the hot skin issue goes away then the problem is UP STREAM of the RV AC plug.

It is unfortunately fairly common to find floating safety grounds in RV campgrounds.

1 Like 1 ·
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

MP-II has a relay that closes when it's inverting to make the N-G bond. It opens when it's passing through shore AC.

It really sounds like a bad N-G bond provided by shore power.

Do you notice this on multiple shore power sources?

2 |3000