question

digitalbanana avatar image
digitalbanana asked

PylonTech US5000 - connect A/CAN and B/RS485 ports at the same time

Hello,

I am a UK domestic consumer and have 2x US5000 PylonTech batteries installed, there are connected via the A/CAN port on the master battery (red square below) to a Ginlong/Solis inverter.

I am looking to try and read battery capacity using an RS485 connection to the B/RS485 port (green box below) but it seems that if the inverter is connected to the A/CAN port, then the battery will not respond on the B/RS485 port. If i disconnect the A/CAN port, the battery starts to respond on the B/RS485 port.

Does anyone know if my conclusion is correct (that simultaneous comms are possible), and if that is the case is there anyway to take local reading of battery SOC (directly from the battery) while the battery is connected to the inverter?

Many thanks

download-1.png

Pylontechrs485
download-1.png (1.6 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

What are you trying to achieve? Sounds like the BMS does not support both concurrently.

You could just pull the SOC directly from the Cerbo, there are various options available to you.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

digitalbanana answered ·

Thanks Nick,

Basically I just want to get the SOC from batteries and then 1) push it to a homeassistant endpoint and 2) post it to and MQTT topic. I need to keep the inverter pushing data to the ginlong/solis endpoint for warranty reasons etc (also the webportal isnt too bad)

I currently read the solar panel out from the inverter - there is a crappy REST endpoint exposes that data but it doesnt exposes anything battery related so am looking at other ways to get it

Sorry might be NOOB question what does "Cerbo" mean

2 |3000

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Ah ok. Do you have any Victron gear in this installation (this being a Victron community and all)?

The Cerbo/gx is a victron control device/mini computer that runs all the intelligence and all devices connect to it, enabling remote control and automation.

2 |3000

digitalbanana answered ·

ah ahem no - i did wonder but wasnt 100% - i googled for pylontech forums and this forum was what i found :-)

guess the SEO is better than Pylons (or this is the only forum that hosts pylontech questions)

I have also emailed the manufacturer but not had any response hence me widening - thanks for taking the time to reply

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

If you feel like spending some $ the GX has been used by non-victron third parties to work around limitations in the "lesser" brands accessibility :)

If you search around here you will find some examples. The OS also runs on a PI (with some limitations).

It is mostly not supported but some have used it successfully.

Hopefully we can convert you at some point and get you to join the Victron family.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron Pylontech battery compatibility guide

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic