question

miami337 avatar image
miami337 asked

Charging with a Skylla IP44 and Multiplus Inverter/Charger - is it safe?

I have a 110v 3k 24v Multiplus inverting/charging my battery bank. I'd like to add a Skylla IP44 charger - but if I do that, will the Skylla need to talk to the Multiplus or will I burn up the charger? I plan on adding an additional Skylla IP44 (30A 24V) also in the future, which I understand I can parallel to the other Skylla.

So can I run the Multi Charger and Skylla IP44 charger without issue or do I need to make a connection or settings change to do so safely?

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Miami. That'll be ok. They don't need to communicate, and will just follow their own charge algorithms.

They will work safely just connected to the same batt/dc bus, regardless of ac supply phases.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

miami337 avatar image miami337 commented ·

Thanks John. So to clarify, when I add a second SkyllaIP44 - do I need to connect them with the Can.bus and program them somehow to be in parallel, or will they simply follow their own settings as well? I just don't want to burn up the new chargers.

If I do need to get them in parallel, any idea where I can find instructions on how to do that properly?

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ miami337 commented ·

You can't burn em up, even if you tried.

I can't help with Can links (maybe someone else), and linking to the Multi might be an even greater challenge.

But they'll be natively linked by their output V, and if individually and collectively following what you want, considering you can tweak the individual units, job done.

Some get a little excited by this apparent 'vagueness'. Not I, but I'm not everyone. I do have VRM access though, and recommend it to you if you're a serious punter.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ miami337 commented ·

It’s fine to connect them to the same battery. There is no way to synchronise the charging, both will follow their own charge algorithm.

Be careful that you don’t overload a fuse, or battery wiring, if it has been designed for only one.

0 Likes 0 ·
miami337 avatar image miami337 Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks Guy, I believe you are saying there is no way to synchronise the multi and the skylla. But what about the two identical skyllas, they need to be paralleled, correct?

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic