question

ian0 avatar image
ian0 asked

So why did I need a Cerbo GX?

4926c93d-fe67-47c6-a8d6-4ff2dee6cbf9.jpegA while ago, after I bought a Multiplus II, I was told that I needed a Cerbo GX before I could use it to "maximise self consumption". Here is a diagram from the website which states that it can "maximise self consumption" whilst “preventing grid feed” and there isn't a Cerbo in sight, and it isn't a Multiplus II GX. So how is it done?

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Can you share the link to this document?

Google has been known to reference dated docs, the overviews I can find on the public site all seem to reference a gx in one form or another.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack commented ·
It is in the Off-Grid Brochure
0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

If using Lithium batteries you need you need the GX controller of some sort to manage the process,

or connected to the grid as well to properly manage power flows etc.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

There is some base programming that ignores AC if the battery is above a certain amount and load is below a certain amount (all configurable).

With the newer firmware you can stay connected and at float and the solar works for you.

As mentioned above this will also depend on if you don't have comms managed batteries though.

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

This image has victron smart batteries which use VEBUS bms, though this isn’t shown on the diagram.

I have been through the off grid/backup overview and can’t find this diagram. Closest is this one, which while similar, clearly shows a GX model inverter.

Could be an oversight on an older doc, so would still appreciate a direct link, but for a small system in a specific configuration it will work just without the flexibility.

It is rare nowadays for a system to not show vrm and remote monitoring (which even off grid needs) and that requires a gx in one form or another.

0 Likes 0 ·
img-0078.jpeg (472.2 KiB)