question

matt-s avatar image
matt-s asked

IP22 power consumption & multiple output question

I have two question on my IP22 20/12 (3 outputs):

1. I cannot find the power consumption on the charger anywhere. For example, can a generator of 1000W power it given that full output?

2. With three outputs, I thought the charger would monitor and match output to all three? Meaning that one output could be in bulk phase, and another in float. But that does not seem to be the case if you look in the app, it only shows one battery voltage. How does this work?

regards,

Matt

charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Matt.

1. Your unit is 12V, 20A into that 12V, so a nominal 240W. Max you might see is 14.4V (say) on the batts, 94% efficient. so 20A x 14.4 / .94 = 306W on the input side.

2. It's a simple device, and will charge to a V target using a single algorithm. All batts treated the same. That would suffice for most people, but if you've an 'exotic' batt collection requiring different charge profiles then you'd need separate chargers.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

matt-s avatar image
matt-s answered ·

Hi,

Thanks for the answers JohnC!

Well, since I have a mix of battery bank for consumers, starter batteries and batteries for bow and stern thrusters they might need different profiles? For example a starter battery is almost always full, whereas my battery bank for consumers might be at 70-80% when I return to the dock.

I now see that Victron has a more advanced model called Phoenix Smart charger IP43 which seems to have what I am after. I think I bought the "wrong" model perhaps...

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic