question

mark-egan avatar image
mark-egan asked

Orion Smart on a VWT6.1 Campervan

Hello all

I am very new to the app and have had battery drain issues for the last two months, the after sales team where I bought the van have been useless in assisting and now I have the app I have a limited understanding of the issue

Basically, I would like to request the following please.

1. What should be the settings for the smart charger be.

2. Something is drawing 0.6v from the battery overnight, on occasion resulting in a flat battery, could this be the actual charger itself and what would be the remedy.

3. I have since learnt that it was not setup for a smart alternator so have changed this and am using the default settings but still losing voltage overnight although it does not go below 12v now.

4. Still have yet to see the charger go into float mode whilst driving.

Many thanks in advance.

Mark

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

What are the actual voltage high/low values?

Which battery is affected?

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hi @Mark Egan

Not got an answer for you unfortunately but if you could give some more info on the below others might be able to help more.

1. The settings in the smart charger will depend on what you're charging. Do you know what battery type you have/the size, others on here might be able to suggest some settings then.

2. What is the draw in watts, 0.6v might not mean so much to others (as it's likely specific to your battery size/chemistry). If you've got the figure in watts it might give folk a better idea as to whether it is powering smart device.

4. This might be hard to test while driving but float/absorption modes will be hit if the battery voltage goes above the float/absorption voltages set in the settings. (Again this will be specific to the chemistry of the battery you have). When you say it doesnt go into float, does it go into absorption and just not float? or Neither? if neither it could just be the battery is not quite fully yet but you can check what the voltages are doing to confirm this.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.