question

ian0 avatar image
ian0 asked

VE Bus interfacing

I’m looking at the document “Interfacing with VE.Bus products – MK2 Protocol” and would like to get the operating parameters (charger mode, voltages etc).

I looked at various pins of the RJ45 connector on the scope, and it appears that the interface is RS485, at a baud rate MUCH higher than the 2400 baud specified in the document.

What is the correct spec for the baud rate?

VE.Bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi @Ian0

The protocol described in that document is not the protocol on the VE.Bus itself, but the protocol on the serial interface of the MK2/MK3. You should never directly communicate on the VE.bus, but always through a MK2/MK3.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ian0 avatar image
ian0 answered ·

Thanks. The term “Mk.3” eluded me. Mk.3 what?
Mk.3 interface module!

7 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Ian0

Indeed this: https://www.victronenergy.nl/accessories/interface-mk3-usb

Regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
ian0 avatar image ian0 Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·
Is the RS232 version still available? it is on the price list, but only the USB seems to be on the website.
0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @Ian0

It is still available. When you look online for the part number ASS030120210 you should be able to find a shop that sells them.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
Is there a manual available for download?

I need to know if it is DTE or DCE for the pin out, and whether it is real RS232 levels or TTL levels.

0 Likes 0 ·
Hi @Ian0

There is no manual as this product was never released to be used in this fashion, but for use with our VEConfigure software. So the amount of support we will provide will also be limited.

That said, the pinout is:
pin 2 -> From MK2
pin 3 -> To MK2
pin 4 -> DTR
pin 5 -> GND
It works with RS232 levels, it might work with TTL levels. The level of pin 2 is determined by the level on pin 4 as that is providing the power/voltage that is used on pin 2.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
Thanks. I’ll use a MAX232. That will give all the right levels. I suppose you have powered it from the interface like the original serial mouse(remember those?)

It the connector male or female? There only seems to be one picture and it is taken from the wrong end!

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ ian0 commented ·
The RS232 connector at the MK2 is female.
0 Likes 0 ·
ian0 avatar image
ian0 answered ·

Is the battery temperature available via the interface?

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @Ian0

I have no idea. When it is, this should be in the documentation.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources