question

slazrove avatar image
slazrove asked

Multiplus and galvanic isolation

I need some help connecting the grounding circuit of my boat with a Multiplus compact.

I understand that the power (Line and Neutral) from shore power run directly to the Multiplus. So far so good. The grounding wire goes through a galvanic isolator. There is nothing between the galvanic isolator and shore power, and the galvanic isolator output terminates on a grounding busbar that is part of the distribution panel.

My question is, what is the best way to handle the grounding circuit for the Multiplus? The schematic shows that the Protective Earth (PE, or grounding) is not interrupted as it passes through the Multiplus. It is never disconnected.

1. Can both PE wires from AC in & AC out terminate on the Distribution Panel PE busbar?

2. Does the output from the galvanic isolator need to run directly to the Multiplus AC in, and only the PE from the Multiplus AC out terminate on the busbar?

Thanks.

multplus 2 gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

for 1) the answer is yes, and for 2) no - the ground from the isolator can go directly to the busbar.

However, I would consider a full isolating transformer setup rather than just trying to isolate the earth.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

slazrove avatar image slazrove commented ·
Thanks for the help, Mike. I cruise and have not used shore power in about 5 years. Galvanic isolation is my main concern, so an isolating transformer feels like overkill.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic