question

pgrogan5326 avatar image
pgrogan5326 asked

712 BMV Settings with Renogy inverter charger not syncing

Our charger is set for a 40 amp charge rate and continues that until battery is full, then drops immediately to nothing. BMS and charger are set to 14.6 v. Battery is 280 ah lithium, charged voltage set 14.1 v, tail current set 4%, charged detection time 1 minute. Why won’t our 712 BMV auto sync?

BMV Battery Monitor
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

Our charger is set for a 40 amp charge rate and continues that until battery is full

When exactly is that?

0 Likes 0 ·
pgrogan5326 avatar image pgrogan5326 seb71 commented ·
The charging stops from a voltage trigger- when the battery reaches 14.6-14.7 volts the charging immediately stops.
0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 pgrogan5326 commented ·

That's not a fully charged battery (altough 14.6 - 14.7V is a too high voltage; reduce it to 14.4V or less).

1 Like 1 ·
The Victron BMV is set to 14.1 v. The battery BMS is set to 14.6 as is the charger.
0 Likes 0 ·
Yes, I read that. And I repeat that charging to 14.6V is too high voltage for LiFePO4, for no practical gain.

You stop the charging when Bulk stage ends. The battery is not full yet.

1 Like 1 ·
7 Answers
pgrogan5326 avatar image
pgrogan5326 answered ·

I don’t understand: when you say reduce the voltage to 14.4 are you referring to the Victron settings? Or the charger settings?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Charger settings.
1 Like 1 ·
pgrogan5326 avatar image
pgrogan5326 answered ·

With the Renogy charger there is only the bulk charge stage- once the battery reaches 14.7 volts the charger stops.

13 comments
2 |3000

Then it is not a proper LiFePO4 charger.
1 Like 1 ·
derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas commented ·
Is that an inverter/charger combo? What model? It is probably set to CV/CC charge mode which will not work in your situation. You will never reach the tail current parameters to sync the BMS. If possible, you need to change the charging profile to a 3 stage. CV/CC mode will always shut off the moment the voltage is reached, which as seb71 has stated is not a full charge. I have run into this exact situation with many of my customers who have renogy or gopower systems installed at the factory. Unfortunately these manufacturers think they "know", but they do not.
0 Likes 0 ·
pgrogan5326 avatar image pgrogan5326 derrick thomas commented ·
Our inverter charger is the PCL series 2000 w pure sine wave inverter & charger. What is the CV/CC charge mode? I can create a custom charge mode- what do you recommend for the bulk, absorption and float modes? What do you recommend to your customers (What is your company??)? Finally, our BMS is set to 14.6 v.
0 Likes 0 ·
derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas pgrogan5326 commented ·

CV/CC is constant voltage constant current. It will provide a constant current (in your case 40 amps) until it reaches the charge voltage setting and then simply stop charging. The problem with this is that when the charge voltage is reached the batteries are still absorbing a large amount of current, they are not fully charged (which really isn't an issue for LifePo4), but most importantly the tail current will never be reached, resulting in no synchronization of the SOC.

I would set the bulk/absorption voltage to 14.2 - 14.4, float voltage 13.2 - 13.5, charged voltage setting in the 712-BMV to 0.1 volts below the bulk/absorption setting, tail current at 1 to 2% with a detection time of 3 minutes. Tail current and detection time might need some adjusting depending on what type of balancing the BMS is doing and if you have solar. This should give you a good baseline to start from.

As for your question about my business, I own/operate an RV service and repair business with about 25 years in the industry. And no, I am not affiliated with any stealership. I take pride in workmanship and customer service.

Edit: oops I accidently dropped some 24v values in there. Not good for 12v systems lol.

0 Likes 0 ·
If the bulk charge is 40 amps, the absorption voltage 14.4 v and float voltage 13.2 volts, what triggers the charger to move from bulk to absorption to float modes? Please excuse the rudimentary questions, trying to understand.
0 Likes 0 ·
When power is first applied to the charger/inverter it will start in bulk stage. Bulk applies the maximum current (40 amps) until the absorption voltage setting is reached. Once this voltage is reached, the current will begin to taper off in order to maintain the voltage setting. What happens next depends on how your charger is configured. Some chargers will remain in absorption for a set amount of time, some chargers will remain in absorption until the current lowers to a certain level. Once this condition is met, the charger will drop into float stage. The switch from float back to bulk is usually triggered by a drop in voltage from the float setting, or a power cycle. (For example when you disconnect shore power and move to another RV site, and then plug in again)
0 Likes 0 ·
After reading and studying what you are saying the only concern I have with changing the battery type in our charger to “other than lithium” and setting the absorption and float voltages manually is the trigger voltage to begin charging (bulk) again. Our battery is a 4 cell lithium and if I understand correctly should not drop below 3 volts per cell, or 12 volts. With the Lithium battery setting the bulk starts when voltage drops to 12.4. Would you share this concern????
0 Likes 0 ·
With a 3 stage charging profile the voltage should not drop too far below the float setting before a rebulk is initiated. That being said, in float stage the charger will still put out up to 40 amps as necessary to maintain the float voltage setting. I wouldn't be concerned with it.
0 Likes 0 ·
You did not read my post?

I explained that already.

0 Likes 0 ·

“If the battery voltage has dropped more than a certain value, a new charging cycle will begin (Bulk - Absorption - Float) if there is still Sun to power the PV panels.”

I have read your posts, perhaps not completely understanding. The information above is what I think you are referencing and the “certain value” is what I’m asking about. I don’t have any way to set that in a custom profile with my charger.

0 Likes 0 ·

Usually the re-bulk value is setable.

But you asked:
what triggers the charger to move from bulk to absorption to float modes?

And I already explained that.

0 Likes 0 ·
There are several battery choices in the Renogy software close to what you are recommending: the ”AGM 1” selection has a boost voltage of 14.1 and a float voltage of 13.4. Would this work?
0 Likes 0 ·
If the custom selection is other than lithium, the bulk charge rate would remain at 40 amps until the absorption voltage is met, say 14.4 volts. I’ve read in the manual that an algorithm calcs time to remain in the absorption phase, then it falls to the float voltage. What triggers bulk charge mode again? Before it was 12.4 volts reached, but that setting is in the lithium settings.
0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

The SOC calculated by the BMV can reach 100% just by charging the battery with enough energy, without synchronization to 100%. This does not happen in your case because the charger stops when Bulk stage ends.

The synchronization to 100% is the other way the BMV SOC gets to 100%. In order for the synchronization to happen, during battery charging the voltage must reach the "charged voltage" set in BMV (14.1V in your case), while the charging current is less than the "Tail current" set in BMV (4%, corresponding to 11.2A in your case), and maintain these conditions for the time set in BMV (1 minute in your case). I suspect that this does not happen in your case because the charging current is still too high.

2 |3000

pgrogan5326 avatar image
pgrogan5326 answered ·

Yes. The BMS in the battery controls when the charging stops actually- once 14.6 volts is hit, the BMS stops the charging. There is no tail current. As I understand it this is a characteristic with all lithium batteries, not just ours (is this understanding correct?). It seems to me- unless our system is somehow different- the charge voltage and tail current will never be reached for the set time with our set up. And isn’t this how all lithium systems work??

2 |3000

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

LiFePO4 charging should be like this:

• Bulk stage. This is the constant current charging stage (as long as the charger can maintain a constant current; for instance if the charger is an MPPT and some clouds appear, the current might not be constant). During this stage the battery voltage keeps rising, until it reaches the "Absorption voltage" value.
  • Absorption stage. In this stage, the charger holds/maintains the voltage to the "Absorption voltage" value, so the battery voltage should not rise anymore. So this is a constant voltage charging stage. The battery will take less and less current as it gets near full. End of Absorption stage is dictated either by the "Tail current" (absorption stage ends when the current taken by the battery drops below the tail current) and/or by duration (you specify a certain duration of the Absorption stage).
  • Float stage. After the absorption stage ends, the charger maintains a voltage lower than the Absorption voltage and no current enters the battery anymore (assuming it is not being discharged by powering some loads).

-------

LiFePO4 cells should not be charged more than 3.6V (but they can be charged to a lower voltage than 3.6V). So for a 4-cell battery, the maximum value for the Absorption voltage is 14.4V.

Float voltage for a LiFePO4 cell is around 3.35V. So for a 4-cell battery Float voltage is 13.4V.

-------

If your charger has adjustable Absorption voltage value, then reduce it from 14.6V to 14.4V (or even lower if the cells are not well balanced).

-------

Also, a LiFePO4 cell should not be discharged below 3.0V. Even if the manufacturer lists a lower limit, don't push it. You gain almost nothing, with high risk to damage the cells or shortening their life span.

Of course, no problem if you limit the discharge at higher cell voltage value (losing some usable capacity, but gaining aa longer cell life).

2 |3000

pgrogan5326 avatar image
pgrogan5326 answered ·

Our charger is a Renogy 2000 w inverter charger, and in the lithium setting as I understand it there is only one stage- the bulk. According to the Renogy manual it charges to 14.7 volts, then is off until the voltage drops to 12.4.

2 comments
2 |3000

See my previous comment on this thread. You will need to change the charger profile from Lifepo4. Unfortunately thier out of the box Lifepo4 setting is wrong, contrary to what they want to claim.
1 Like 1 ·

I found a manual (hopefully for the model you have).

https://www.renogy.com/content/R-INVT-PCL1-20111S/R-INVT-PCL1-20111S%20Manual.pdf

In that manual they also call the "Absorption stage" and "Absorption voltage" as "Boost stage" and "Boost voltage" respectively.

If you stick with the "Lithium" charging profile, at least use the custom one, which allows to modify the voltages.

1 Like 1 ·
pgrogan5326 avatar image
pgrogan5326 answered ·

All of your posts have been very helpful. I’m a student with these things and appreciate guys with experience helping. Interesting that I’ve stumbled on something that is controversial: there is a lot of information I’ve found through further researching saying lithium batteries do not need a float charge stage. Clearly Renogy is in that camp. Clearly Victron is not. So for me the jury is still out. One thing I’ve learned is that the Victron BMV needs a certain charge profile to auto-sync. For the short term I’m going to manually sync and stay with the Renogy charge profile for lithium batteries- I have an indicator on our batteries in the BMS that shows when the batteries are fully charged. Simple to sync then. Again: thank you very much.

2 comments
2 |3000

Your statement that LifePo4 does not require float is absolutely correct. The issue is that when using other equipment such as smart shunts or BMV to monitor SOC, single stage charging does not work. Applying a "sensible" float voltage does absolutely no harm and will ensure that the monitoring device is accurately synced. The BMS in most lifepo4 batteries (probably 99% of them) do not do a good job of keeping an accurate SOC. A smart shunt or BMV is going to be much more accurate when properly configured.
0 Likes 0 ·

Interesting that I’ve stumbled on something that is controversial: there is a lot of information I’ve found through further researching saying lithium batteries do not need a float charge stage.

In my post above I wrote this:

Float stage. After the absorption stage ends, the charger maintains a voltage lower than the Absorption voltage and no current enters the battery anymore (assuming it is not being discharged by powering some loads).

The LiFePO4 battery is (should be) fully charged at the end of the Absorption stage.

The Float stage is very important when using MPPT chargers (which charge the battery but also power the loads - such as an inverter). By maintaining the Float voltage, the MPPT charger can power the loads and the LiFePO4 battery should not discharge (if the MPPT can provide all the required power for the loads).

If you have a load bigger than what the MPPT can provide, the battery will start to discharge, to cover the difference. The battery voltage will drop. Once the big load is turned off, the battery will be charged even in Float stage.

If the battery voltage has dropped more than a certain value, a new charging cycle will begin (Bulk - Absorption - Float) if there is still Sun to power the PV panels.

0 Likes 0 ·