question

info-6 avatar image
info-6 asked

Multiplus 12/3000/120-32 on AC in L1 and Neutral are swapped. What happens?

Hi there,
it might be a "stupid" question, but I couldn't find any really clear answer to it:
In the manual (and also the terminal inside) it is stated that L1 and Neutral must not be exchanged, but I could nowhere find and explanation why and what would happen?
Background:

I have just installed a Multiplus II in my RV and grounded also the Multiplus to chassis. Here in my home I checked polarity and connected accordingly, everythings works as it should, incl. RCD function. But if I'm travelling I never can be sure whether AC in is correctly wired.

Does this matter to the Multiplus or the RV distribution at all? Or is there a protection which ensures that on AC out always L1 and N are correctly set?

Further:

I have installed ESS Assistand and using it while I'm at home. For this purpose I'm using my 8 kWh battery as a buffer for nighttime and feeding into my house permanently around 200W (limit the power and set Dynamic ESS to "Sell".

I intend to switch off Dynamic ESS when I'm travelling. Is this enough or should I do some other measures to avoid problems with possibly swapped L1/N on AC in?
Best Regards

Hartmut

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

As long as your own wiring is correct, I doubt you'll ever need to worry about the pedestal wiring being swapped - N & G are bonded at the source transformer, so anyone who tried to wire a pedestal backward and swap L & N would very quickly learn their mistake.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas commented ·
Not as impossible as you might think. I've seen it happen in RV parks. Really easy to switch line and neutral when wiring an outlet for a non proffesional. The best defense is a EMS.
1 Like 1 ·
info-6 avatar image
info-6 answered ·

Hi again,
OK, I did it...

I set Dynamic ESS of "Off"-mode

I switched of the Multiplus II and then swapped L1 and Neutral

I switched on the Multi and got the error 11

bildschirmfoto-vom-2023-08-26-18-20-43.png

bildschirmfoto-vom-2023-08-26-18-22-12.png

At least I can be sure now that it simply doesn't accept, if a wiring in an RV park is incorrect.

I might helps others ;-)

4 comments
2 |3000

geomz avatar image geomz commented ·

While that is good testing for general knowledge, I would still highly recommend installing an inline surge protector/EMS. Cheap insurance for something that can cause quite serious damage to your more expensive equipment. An EMS would protect you from additional SANFUs besides a reversed line wire.

I’ve been to lots of RV parks over the years and I’ve seen some seriously janky wiring, even at “fancy new” looking pedestals. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
info-6 avatar image info-6 geomz commented ·
Definetly I will install a protection, as, indeed, many of RV parks have a really unbelievable setups for electrical power supply.

Nevertheless, I always want to understand the whole system and therefore I couldn't resist to make the hot test... :-)

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Using ESS in a RV it's not allowed!

ESS is only for stationary systems.

0 Likes 0 ·
info-6 avatar image info-6 Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Yes, I'm aware that the way I'm using it is not covered explicit by the regulations

However, the RV is standing at least 10 months per year just in front of my house and during this long period I consider it as "stationary" ;-) . Addtionally, I'm not feeding into the grid, just consume this small power by myself.

Off course, when I'm travelling, ESS is disabled so I'm not feeding into any other grid.

0 Likes 0 ·