question

jez avatar image
jez asked

Parallel Solar Regulator MPPT 150/35

I know this has already been asked before - but wanted to see if anyone has a suggestion for my specific issue. I have a site that has 2 x MPPT 150-35. One has around 1300Watts of solar and the other around 1800Watts of solar. Both MPPT regulators then charge the same battery bank in parallel on their output. I also have a BMV700 to monitor the system. One of the solar panel banks probably gets sun a little earlier than the other. It seems like when sun hits the second bank the second solar regultor goes into absorption mode pretty much straight away - I assume becuase it thinks the battery bank is already well charge because the first regulator is already feeding. However I believe the batteries are not that well charged and the idea is to get both solar panel banks feeding the batteries in bulk when required. Anyone have any ideas? Is there a way of syncing or having the regulators talk to one another or act in parallel operation better?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @JEZ
in absorbtion mode the MPPT is limited by the maximum (absorbtion) charge voltage, so it is limited by what the battery can handle, not for sync reasons.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jez avatar image jez commented ·

Thankyou Daniel - Ok - so you are saying that in fact the second regulator is actually doing its job by going into absorption so as to not overcharge the battery? Interesting topic - if you can provide anymore information it would be great

0 Likes 0 ·
jez avatar image
jez answered ·

Thankyou Daniel - Ok - so you are saying that in fact the second regulator is actually doing its job by going into absorption so as to not overcharge the battery? Interesting topic - if you can provide anymore information it would be great

2 |3000