question

Harry Keith avatar image
Harry Keith asked

Multiplus 12/300/120 charger issues

I have a Multiplus 12-3000-120, about 2 years old, installed on a sailboat. In general, it's a great inverter. I especially like being able to limit incoming power, as I often use a 15A shore power connection.
My issue is getting the thing to charge. Classic chargers go through a three step process -- Bulk, Absorption, and finally Float. Classic chargers aren't very smart, so they simply start off in Bulk. Even my SmartSolar appears to.
The problem is that the inverter tries to out think itself. If I connect to shore power with my 800Ah AGM bank down 150Ah (about 80% SOC), it goes to float. Even at float, I'm putting in 30A into the battery! If I start my engine, my alternators go to Absorption, and put 120 to 150A into the battery. This is very frustrating when I have an opportunity to get shore power for an hour or two and want to charge them at Absorption voltage (and rate!).
The problem was even worse when I had "Storage" enabled -- sometimes I'd connect to shore power at 90-95% SOC, and it would go to "storage" and never even get charged! I've disabled that, which has helped a lot, but I really would like to have it work -- when on shore power for weeks at a time, it makes a lot of sense.
I could enable the option to automatically initiate Absorption daily, but that is not really appropriate for extended time on shore power.
A serious problem with the smart algorithm is that the inverter has ZERO awareness of the battery. It has no idea of the battery capacity, so it doesn't know tail currents. It has no idea of battery SOC, so it will happily go to float with a battery down 20%. It has no awareness of other loads, so it can't tell if the 20A it is putting out is charge current or load current. A fixed charge routine is "dumber" but given the lack of input data, it is the "smartest" solution!

Is there any way to dumb this down a little? Force it to always go to Absorption for an hour every time shore power is connected? And if you could make "Storage" a little more logical, I'd love to reenable it.
Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

You can indeed force to absorption - see page 4 of the user manual.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Dušan Klofutar avatar image
Dušan Klofutar answered ·

Are the settings on charger tab correct?

1692810593534.png

1692810593534.png (35.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Harry Keith avatar image
Harry Keith answered ·

Justin, thank you very much! While I would prefer the system to actually be autonomous, this is an easy enough procedure to go through to make it charge. The next time I get shore power, I will give it a try.

2 |3000

Harry Keith avatar image
Harry Keith answered ·

Dusan, it took me a bit to give you an answer to those questions, as I had to connect to the device. My settings are slightly different. My absorption is 14.7, my charge curve is adaptive but without battery safe, and I have disabled storage mode since, as I have described above and others have commented, storage mode doesn't work right.

2 |3000

Harry Keith avatar image
Harry Keith answered ·

Justin,

Just wanted to follow up. I ran my battery down to 75% SOC, and then connected to shore power. The Multiplus went in to "Float" and put out 25A. Insanity! I then did your suggestion, and forced it to "Absorption." It went to "Bulk" (which is just the machine limitation of Absorption -- same "stage") and went to 95A! It actually would have been even higher, but I've set a limit on shore power current of 15A, and it was sucking down just over 14A. So this is a solid work around!

Two follow up questions:

* First, and I'll see this in a couple hours, does it stay in Absorption until I turn it off? Or does this kick off a "smart charger" cycle, and it will back off on its own? I'll have to watch it -- my AGM's won't like days of Absorption.

* Second, does anyone know why Victron has made such an unfriendly charger? Or am I doing something wrong? When you connect to shore power with batteries at 75% SOC, and it goes to Float -- well, why even call it a "smart charger" if it never actually charges? Under what circumstances does it automatically go to Bulk? Is it possible to set it up to work like, say, the SmartSolar that go to bulk on their own? Or my old Freedom 20 or my Balmar alternator regs, that start off in Bulk?

Does Victron actively monitor this forum? Is there a way to ask a product manager at Victron what I'm doing wrong?

1 comment
2 |3000

derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas commented ·
Have you tried with fixed charge curve and disable storage mode?
0 Likes 0 ·