question

farmeroz avatar image
farmeroz asked

What information is passes over the VE-bus?

I would like to connect my off-grid victron solar/LiPO4/quattro to the grid (UK) using a compliant multi3000 which would boost charge as required in winter. This would charge the battery if required and sell surplus energy. Its unclear to me if the VE-bus can be daisychained to the VE-bus BMS. If not how can I stop the quattro in the event of low battery voltage if I cannot control it via ve-bus, because that is used by the multi operating the MPPT and acting as charger?

VE.Bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

What components do you have exactly? Maybe a wiring diagram would help.
I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly.

You can't connect a Quattro and a MultiPlus together via VE.bus.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

farmeroz avatar image
farmeroz answered ·

OK consider a multi3000 (gridlinked) vebus to a vebusV2 and a Victron 6kW MPPT (48V) and a victron smartLi. That works. BUT then we need to add a 10kW quattro to run the house (essentially off grid).

Its not clear to me if you can daisychain ve-bus devices (only one master) or not. Further the quattro doesn 't seem to have charge disconnect and inverter disconnect hard-wired imputs,

Currently I am off grid with the quattro in charge, and no gridlinked multi3000.

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Farmeroz

Short answer, no you cannot connect them together on the ve bus.

One GX is only meant to handle and conteolone VE bus system, unless they are in three phase, split phase or parralel they are not one system.

You can only connect two ve bus inverters together if you are building a three phase/parralel system. And then in the documentation the requirement is that they are the same model and the same inverter production line.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources